Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front doors off fine, back doors PITA

Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front doors off fine, back doors PITA

I'm on an almost perfectly flat surface my rear passenger side door WILL not budge, I'm a pretty strong guy too, I've tried to shoot some WD-40 up from below too once I took the torx bits out from the bottoms...any other suggestions?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put board on the bottom and jack the door up slightly with a floor jack. That will get it free the first time.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me what I did was srew torx in about half way and with block of wood and hammer tapped torx head. Once it freed up pulled door right off. After got doors off sprayed some white lightning silicone on hinge and doors come off easy peasy now
Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubi55
Happened to me what I did was srew torx in about half way and with block of wood and hammer tapped torx head. Once it freed up pulled door right off. After got doors off sprayed some white lightning silicone on hinge and doors come off easy peasy now
Ya I greased up my front doors after I got them off and they popped off today no problem at all, also doest it seem like Chrysler should put the pronged part permanently on the side of the jeep, sticking up rather than on the door, sticking down... Feel like that would eliminate some of the difficulty getting them off and would certainly make it easier to put them back on
Old 08-29-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a couple YouTube videos breaking my doors loose. I used some liquid wrench, a car jack, and some towels to cushion the Jack under the doors. Give one pump with the Jack, and shake the doors back and forth. Repeat that process. The doors will come off. Just grab it before it pops off so you don't damage it. I'd roll the Windows down before taking them off too to help protect from breakage.

I now put anti seize on the doors before putting them back on. They come back off with ease now.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If they are really stuck and you use the jack method, you probably should have a helper. Place the board of the jack against a pretty strong part of the door--maybe not the pinch seam, which you wouldn't want to bend. Jack up and the vehicle may raise up. While you hold the door (window rolled down, gripping interior handle), have you helper push down on the Jeep--maybe on the front door sill. A couple good pumps should free up the door. If not, open or close the door some and try again with the door at a new angle--it may be that the pin and hinge are slightly out of kilter and you need to find the right spot to get them going the same general direction.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
... I now put anti seize on the doors before putting them back on. They come back off with ease now.
I think that or lithium grease are best. Silicone sprays tend to be less durable in the weather when left for a long period of time (say over the winter).

Quick Reply: Front doors off fine, back doors PITA