Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front tires cupping and rock rails rusting

Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front tires cupping and rock rails rusting

Hi guys,

I've seen a couple of threads addressing front tire cupping on later models, but does anybody a diagnosis for the cause of (or experience with) cupping on the front tires of a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited? The front shocks seem fine. Ball joints? Wheel bearings? Something else on the 2009? Also, the rock rails on both sides are rusting out. Has anyone had any luck getting a dealer to fix either problem after the expiration of the standard warranty?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kafka1983
Hi guys,

I've seen a couple of threads addressing front tire cupping on later models, but does anybody a diagnosis for the cause of (or experience with) cupping on the front tires of a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited? The front shocks seem fine. Ball joints? Wheel bearings? Something else on the 2009? Also, the rock rails on both sides are rusting out. Has anyone had any luck getting a dealer to fix either problem after the expiration of the standard warranty?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!!
Front tire cupping indicates an alignment issue. How often have you rotated the tires? Have you rotated the tires? As for the corrosion issue on the rails. Your profile indicates that you live in Boston, MA. I used to live in Maine and drove to MA frequently in the winter. Both States are/were notorious for salting their roads in the winter, in addition, if you are near the coast you live in a salt-air environment; bad for exposed metal. Corrosion of parts subject to scraping and exposed to such an environment is not a warranty issue. Keep them clean, and keep the bare metal covered. Frequent re-applications of spray-on wrinkle finish will do but having them coated with a bed-liner type material might provide a longer, "like new" appearance.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say sand them down or grind them down to its bare metal and treat the rust with something a bed line the rails
Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

For tire cupping, check your shock absorbers. It's also important that you rotate tires regularly, especially so if you have a blocky tread pattern.

Quick Reply: Front tires cupping and rock rails rusting