Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Garage accessories

Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage accessories

OK, I owned a TJ for several years...not able to do a whole lot on account of going to desert paradises of Iraq and Afghanistan.... Anyway, I am starting to get a little more bold than just changing oil and would like to know from the group what size floor jack I would need to start out and any other "starter" tools I may need. I have the Torx set and metric sets to do things like install my CAI but anything "majorly" mechanical I am a little intimidated by my lack of tools. What do I need? Keep in mind I am a cheap SOB and don't want to spend a few thousand on a welding rig. I can't wait to hear what you all think. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I 'm new to jeeps , but I would say 2.5 - 3 ton floor jack , jack stands (2-4) , socket set , a set of wrenches (standard and metric) , screwdrivers , battery drill . Alot depends on what you plan on doing to your jeep yourself. A door dolly would be nice . Anyways thank you for serving our country.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I would suggest a 21″ Floor Jack (2 if possible) and probably a couple 6-Ton Jack Stands to start. They sometimes come as a package deal at some auto parts stores, so you might want to check that out.

Other tools needed would depend on the type of projects you plan on doing. If you think you might want to install a complete lift, then the following list should help. Or if you are only planning on a BB, then you probably wouldn't need some of the tools listed like the sawzall.

Sockets & Wrenches
• 10,14,15,16,17,18,19,21mm
• 7/16,5/8,3/4

Additional Tools
• 3/8″ & 1/2″ Drive Ratchets
• 3″ & 6″ Ratchet Drive Extension
• 12″ Ratchet Drive Extension
• Ft. Lb. Torque Wrench
• Breaker Bar
• Large Crescent Wrench
• Power Hand Drill
• 1/8″,11/32″,1/2″ Metal Drill Bit
• Sawzall or Reciprocating Saw
• Sawzall Metal Cutting Blade
• 21″ Floor Jack (2 if possible)
• (2) 6-Ton Jack Stands
• Wheel Chocks
• Angle Finder
• Hammer
• Center Punch
• Pry Bar
• Pliers
• Wire Snips
• Ruler or Tape Measure
• Safety Glasses
• Bench Vice

Additional Hardware & Supplies
• Anti-Seize Compound
• Grease Gun
• White Lithium Grease
• Zip Ties
• Pencil or Marker

Happy Wrenching
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

On floor jacks bigger is better in my opinion. I know a 2 ton will be okay for working on the JK but suppose you have a buddy with a suburban that needs a hand??? I also have to say make sure you know the difference between saving money and getting cheap tools. Cheap tools are dangerous as the tend to break usually costing more in the long run to replace than just buying quality to begin with. As to the rest there is a lot you can do with a good jack stand and the tools you have onhand. The rest is a pick up as needed or loaner tools from Autozone if I did not think I would need it more than once.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

My advise is to buy quality tools when you decide to buy them. I would rather rent tools (or some stores lend them if your buy products from them) then buy cheap tools that break when you really need them.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve&2jc's
One of the best investments you can make is an air compressor. You can slowly add the tools for it as you need them for projects. It will make a world of difference in the ease and time required on projects. Only takes 10 minutes to rotate my tires.
...with that said, what type of air comp?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tools? Tools? Use yer head there Airborne! I know you've got a motorpool at your disposal. Those guys wrenchin on Humvees all day would probably love a shot at helping you with your JK!

Or are you an officer? If so, drum up a box of ground guides and a couple cases of chemlight batteries for the mechanics if you want em to help ya.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just happen to be an officer and I will take that stuff down to the Motor Pool if you meet me there with the keys to the dropzone and an exhaust sample....

Believe it or not I have had coveralls on and done my share of time on M1114s. Always with trained supervision of course.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sockets. Make sure you have 6 sided and not cheap 12point. You will strip a lot less nuts and bolts.

A digital multimeter. About $15. needed for diagnosising electrical gremblins. Add 3-4 24" leads with covered aligator clips.

a FRED eg a 2-4' section of steel pipe to allow leverage on your socket.

A trouble light because not all problem happen in the open.
A ladies mirror with a handle for looking into tight areas. Any drug store will have it.

one of those handles that attach to a hacksaw blade. Then put a 24tooth blade in it.

3/8' Nutdriver to make removing hose clamps a breeze.

Impact wrench and set of points, as sometimes you need to crack nuts loose.

Propane torch.

Couple pair of Vice Grips.

Couple of wobble extensions to make getting a socket into a tight place easily.

Quick Reply: Garage accessories