Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gas Saver Thing

Old 02-07-2007, 01:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to a Chemical Engineer last night about this. I first asked them what effect a magnet would have on hydrocarbons. They said very little but it could "excite" them. I then explained why they asked. They said that made no sense whatsoever because a molecule wants to be in its relaxed state so the moment it left the magnetic field it would return to its relaxed state. They also said that even if you had a magnet large enough to cover the entire engine in a magnetic field that it wouldn't matter because an excited hydrocarbon would burn the exact same as a un-excite hydrocarbon. Take that for what it is worth.

Medsker
Old 02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by medsker
I talked to a Chemical Engineer last night about this. I first asked them what effect a magnet would have on hydrocarbons. They said very little but it could "excite" them. I then explained why they asked. They said that made no sense whatsoever because a molecule wants to be in its relaxed state so the moment it left the magnetic field it would return to its relaxed state. They also said that even if you had a magnet large enough to cover the entire engine in a magnetic field that it wouldn't matter because an excited hydrocarbon would burn the exact same as a un-excite hydrocarbon. Take that for what it is worth.

Medsker

Well, now my hydrocarbons are flacid? :sad:
Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Medsker

solid

Code:
whichmeansihavenoideawhathtehellthatmeansbutitsoundssmart
Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that makes more sense then doing something to the molecules but I still don't understand how ionizing or polarizing hydrocarbons gives them more energy or rather makes them burn with more efficiency giving the engine more power so that it propels it further giving it better fuel economy. I don't know the percentage of the fuel that gets burned in a cylinder but isn't over 98%? If this is the case you can only get 2% more efficient before you've created a perpetual motion machine (I thought I had once but a slinky on an escalator didn't count ).

Like I said just curious.

Medsker
The idea is that by lining up the molecules (de-clumping them) they are able to bond to oxygen better... we put CAI on to get more air into the engine, and we align the molecules to better bond with them for more efficent combustion. I've used them and they seem to make a difference, but more so on some cars, and less on others. I havn't tried this on my JK yet to run and tests or anything, but when i do i'll post up.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
The idea is that by lining up the molecules (de-clumping them) they are able to bond to oxygen better... we put CAI on to get more air into the engine, and we align the molecules to better bond with them for more efficent combustion. I've used them and they seem to make a difference, but more so on some cars, and less on others. I havn't tried this on my JK yet to run and tests or anything, but when i do i'll post up.
CAI allow more air because air is more dense at colder temperatures. Hydrocarbon molecules do not clump. The atoms of a molecule are either hooked together or they are not. This isn't like filings of metal. Exciting them simply makes them "vibrate" faster which would then stop when they got past the magnet. Even if they do get "aligned" how does this help them "bond" with oxygen. The air molecules and hydrocarbon molecules simply mix together. Gas is made up of hydrocarbon atoms that have 8 carbon atoms connected together (well if it is 87 octane then 87 percent is 8 carbon atoms and 13 percent is 6 carbon atoms called heptane) these simply mix with outside air to make power with a waste product of mostly carbon dioxode and water with small amounts of carbon monoxide. In this process no where does the hydrocarbons bond with air.

Still not seeing where the magnet could help but still keeping an open mind

Medsker

Quick Reply: Gas Saver Thing