Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting a Golden or Any Large Dog in the Back of a 2 Door!

Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Getting a Golden or Any Large Dog in the Back of a 2 Door!

So, just wanted to throw this out to the group. Any tips or tricks to getting a large dog in the back of a 2 door? My Golden goes in pretty easily on his own but is totally freaked out about getting out since the seats on either side barely go forward enough for anyone to get in and out of. Anybody else have this trouble? Is there something obvious I am missing to help him out? Sitting in the front is not an option. I have a manual and the poor guy is just too big. He can't get in the back if the seat is flipped forward through the side doors. I could flip it forward and have him jump in the rear door but it is a pain unzipping the window and removing the bar each time for him to jump in and out. Wanted to know if others had figured this out. He loves his car rides!

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try letting him up and in the front seat and helping him make it from front seat to back seat?
Old 11-04-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 weimerainers (1 is ~70 and the other is ~100) go in the front seat and then in between the 2 seats to the back and the exact opposite to get out.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
My 2 weimerainers (1 is ~70 and the other is ~100) go in the front seat and then in between the 2 seats to the back and the exact opposite to get out.
Same here. 95 lbs lab is a big baby so I just have to lift him into the front seat and he hops right into the back
Old 11-04-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Here's what I do for my 2 80 pound 12 year old dogs....

Flip the jeep cargo mat, rubber side up and pull it towards the tailgate. You will want it to cover the bumper for traction in the case of a slip.

Use a Rubbermaid container, flip it upside down, put it on the ground below your tailgate and put your passenger mat on top of it for traction.

This gives your dog a pretty big platform to jump on and jump from.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

The footwell area behind the passenger seat I build up with blankets and stuff. When it's time time to get in, I just fold the passenger forward and in the go onto their padded jeep oasis. 100lb monster and a 50lb mutt.

Wait, I suppose that wouldn't go to well unless you removed the rear seat. Sorry
Old 11-05-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I removed my back seat all together for my great dane. I have him trained to put his front paws on the bumper then I have to lift him in from there. Getting him out is fun! I have to completely pick him up and lift him out. Granted my JK is now a lot higher up than it was stock.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were my dog, I'd fold the rear seat down and flip it up, or remove it, and make a nice area for bedding down in the cargo area. Not sure why the dog needs to be seated on the rear seat. For entry/exit, I'd let the dog use the tailgate. If I had a rear window zip, I'd unzip it partially and hold it out of the way to allow extra clearance.

For dogs with joint problems or who are too timid to jump like that, I'd get one of those roll-up ramps. It's really hard on older dogs to jump--they want to, but it hurts. If they can walk up a little set of portable/folding steps or a ramp, that's much better.

Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ramps4pawSTEPS.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	583037

Last edited by jk_sea; 11-05-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Great

Ok, thanks for all of the tips! Looks like enter through the front and then climb into the back is the most employed use of entry and departure. I know one person questioned why the dog needs to go in the back seat anyway. Ready for it.......The wife likes to sit in the front seat. HAHA! But, seriously there are several reasons. I feel safer with him in the back seat for him and I. In the event of an accident he is at least somewhat protected, and I drive a manual and he has on occasion gotten in the way of shifting. He is a very large golden. Not fat, only 75 pounds but he is very tall!

I didn't try the enter through the front and climb into back because I was worried he might scratch up the center console. I think I will throw a blanked over that piece and try that next time. We don't often take him in the Wrangler because we also have a Commander and there is much more room for him.

Now, next summer we will be taking the JK with him, my wife, and my 1.5 year old baby! That, will be a tight fit! Having the baby is also the reason I cannot simply remove or flip forward my rear seat. I know I know should have a 4 door, but I don't! Love my 2 door!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

That ramp is a nice set up. I have a Bloodhound and I alway have to pick up his hind legs to boost him up into my 4 door.

Quick Reply: Getting a Golden or Any Large Dog in the Back of a 2 Door!