Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting in and out of the JK (for the elderly)

Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting in and out of the JK (for the elderly)

A rather strange request.

My parents (who live in England) are coming to visit in July, and I'm seriously concerned that they are going to have a hard time getting in and out of the JK. I only have 2.5 inches of lift, but last time they were here I had my stock Grand Cherokee and my Mom had a tough time. She has since had surgery and got a little older. What do I do? Step stool? I'm even considering renting a minivan (no don't make me drive it!!!) while they're here.

My GF, who is about 5'1 has a tough time getting in and out, how is my Mom, about the same height but 30+ years older) going to manage?

Anyone have similar issues?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

When my mom is in town I park next to the curb to give her an aditional 7-8 inches.....it helps and she can slide out no problem.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

walmart has some nice little folding step stools for a 20spot. I have one for my mom.

like this one:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14158430

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 06-01-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
walmart has some nice little folding step stools for a 20spot. I have one for my mom.

like this one:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14158430
My Dad used to use a stool like that for his mom to help her get in and out of his F350, so it should help a lot. Another thing I found that helps is having grab handles at the A pillar. My wife's grandfather was having a hard time getting in my Jeep and everytime he would reach up in that corner for one, that's when I decided to install it and it makes it a lot easier to get in.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 05-29-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: grrrr.... broke my own damn link.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

She's your mom, she went out of her way to bring you into the world. . . . . rent a comfortable sedan for the week while she visits.

Or if the rental fee is too high, trade your Jeep with a friend who has a nice car while she is in town.

My trick for renting cars is to go online and find the cheapest price for a compact or sub-compact. When you get there, they almost NEVER actually have that tiny car available and have to give you a free upgrade to a midsize sedan. If they actually do have the car, pay a little more for the upgrade.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
She's your mom, she went out of her way to bring you into the world. . . . . rent a comfortable sedan for the week while she visits.

Or if the rental fee is too high, trade your Jeep with a friend who has a nice car while she is in town.

My trick for renting cars is to go online and find the cheapest price for a compact or sub-compact. When you get there, they almost NEVER actually have that tiny car available and have to give you a free upgrade to a midsize sedan. If they actually do have the car, pay a little more for the upgrade.
I agree with you about getting Mom what she wants. That is why i got the stool, my Mom loves riding in my Jeep as she gets to see all over the place. I offered to drive her in her car several times, she wants to ride in the jeep.

I love my Mom
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very cool mom you have there, HappyCurmudgeon!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Eternal ***erator

*L* thx!

she has to be to put up with me.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all thw responses everyone. I think i am definitely leaning towards renting a car/van for the time they're here. I might still get the stool thingie because I'm sure she'll want at least 1 or 2 rides in the Jeep.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took a rode trip to see my mom...

She had never ridden in my new Jeep...
...She tried to get in and couldn't...
...But had her own vehicle ---> so no harm- no foul...

Except from that point on she called it a "Rutabaga".

Quick Reply: Getting in and out of the JK (for the elderly)