Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting in and out of the JK (for the elderly)

Old 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best thing we can all take from this thread is to not judge anyone due to age, physical ability or height!! Sounds like we all have some spunky parents that are either a little older or have some issues with height due to health. All of which still love life and may suprise you if given the chance. Ask your folks what they think might be best for them instead of deciding for them. Most of all enjoy the time you have with them during their visit!!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Please be careful that whatever stool you use is wide enough so it doesn't tip when Mom or Grandma is climbing in.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, I posted the original message expecting 2 or 3 responses, I looked away for a few days and the count is above 30 now Thank you all so much for all of your help, tips and suggestions. THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

I did end up getting a step stool from Wal-Mart, it's very sturdy and was about $15. I'm going to see how it goes for the first day or two, if she struggles to get in and out at all, I'll definitely go the rental car route.

Thanks again all!!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I agree with you about getting Mom what she wants. That is why i got the stool, my Mom loves riding in my Jeep as she gets to see all over the place. I offered to drive her in her car several times, she wants to ride in the jeep.

I love my Mom
Moms know best!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TekWarren
I installed handles in the same location as what scouter posted a picture of and my wife and I use them daily to get in and out. I have a stock X s package, and I added side steps. The handles and side steps really made getting in and out less awkward.

I have it down where I pretty much "swing" myself in and out
I have grab handles in my JK, but they are on the side bars of the cage. How did you get them mounted in the front corner like that? Does it take a particular model of grab handle, and how much stuff do you have remove to get them installed at the corner. This may solve some of the problems with transporting my elderly mother to her medical appointments.

Quick Reply: Getting in and out of the JK (for the elderly)