Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Going Spare-less

Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:
Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Is there anyway you can put the spare in the back storage area? If you did have to use fix-a-flat, you won't be able to have the tire properly repaired by a shop. I've used it a couple of times (on smaller car tires) and was a very temporary fix, but didn't last long.
Eh, I have a 2 door, so space for 4 people will be cramped enough... Let alone putting a spare inside.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Then the long-term answer to your question may be a receiver hitch extension like this:

drawtite-hitches.com/products/Receiver%20Extension,80307

There are also bike racks that mount to the spare. The huge advantage with them is you can still get into the tailgate without removing the bikes.
I thought about an extension, but every rack company says it's nothing but bad news. Receivers are meant for more of a pull than a push down (which is why you can usually lift up a trailer on your own... they're balanced nicely). It makes sense. Plus, I don't want my rack 20 feet out behind my jeep. I feel it's very vulnerable out there. If I could find a short extendion (4-5 inches, I'd be fine doing it...) But apparently those aren't very available.

As for the spare mount, I looked at a few, but none will allow a tire much larger than the stock to be mounted (So I'm not going to spend $200 on something I'll have no use for in a couple months. Plus, Thule is coming out with a new spare mount in a few weeks, I hear, so the resale value of their current model will probably plummet). Also, many spare kits don't allow for the use of a ski mount.

Originally Posted by halfdoors08

This is my extension.
How long is that extension? Any issues using it??? What kind of rack do you have?

Originally Posted by GreekBeast
I highly recomend that you don't use fix a flat solution. The best thing to actually use is a tire repair kit and an on board air system like the Source here is a link for it. Good Luck http://www.offroadairstore.com/servl...ce+CO2+Systems
I'd buy a warn powerplant before spending $300 on an air tank!

So I guess fix-a-flat is out of the question. The rack would really only be used for short trips to the mountain and back. I've never had an issue with a tire going flat (Although, I do come out of my house quite often to find a tire has leaked overnight due to a nail in it.... nubbier tires love to eat nails).

But going spare-less just seems to be asking for trouble (with my luck as it is). I guess I'll just have to rely on good old' AAA in case I pop a tire. Hopefully it wont happen until AFTER we're done snowboarding though!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also been thinking about going spareless, but knowing my luck i would gat a flat within a week.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I'm going to have passengers in the rear, and they're just starting to get over a very cold doors off-top off 1 hour highway cruise from over the summer. I don't want them to NEVER get back into my jeep again if it's freezing.
You want to take passengers and not a spare in the cold?

If I were a passenger and you didn't have a spare and it was cold out "NO I'm not getting in".

]edit[
Go buy one of these for $60
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3969_200333969

And one of these
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9244_200349244

Last edited by mcds99; 02-12-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=wayland1985;338534]:
I thought about an extension, but every rack company says it's nothing but bad news. Receivers are meant for more of a pull than a push down (which is why you can usually lift up a trailer on your own... they're balanced nicely). It makes sense. Plus, I don't want my rack 20 feet out behind my jeep. I feel it's very vulnerable out there. If I could find a short extendion (4-5 inches, I'd be fine doing it...) But apparently those aren't very available.
[QUOTE]

First don't try to balance a trailer there needs to be weight on the ball.

Second you can put 200 lbs on that hitch (2 door). 4 bikes are what 120?
(350 lbs 4 door)
To far back, no it will be right behind the tire.

See my first post and you will have everything you need and the flat fixing kit.

BTW if you break the bead on the tire you could pump 50 cans of fix a flat and never get the tire inflated.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roof Rack... Spare on top.

or

AAA membership
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Fix a Flat won't help if the tire blows out, or you lose a bead.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck.......
Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Hahahaha.. I have AAA. Problem is the mountains are in the more remote areas... so that might take some time.

I wasn't sure. I've seen many TJ's going spare-less. I just wasnt' sure what they plan on doing in the event of a flat.

I may just have to risk it...

Quick Reply: Going Spare-less