Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Going Spare-less

Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going Spare-less

What should one do in order to go spare less??? Just carry a can of fix a flat???

I'll be ordering a bike rack tomorrow, and I may not be able to clear the spare. So, to get to the mountain, I may need to rip the spare off temporarily.

Will that vent be fine too??? I'm going to have passengers in the rear, and they're just starting to get over a very cold doors off-top off 1 hour highway cruise from over the summer. I don't want them to NEVER get back into my jeep again if it's freezing.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have much to add towards your question but I have heard bad things about fix-a-flat.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

i have heard in the past that fix a flat or similar products may harm tpms sensors in the tires. i do not know if you have them, but could be good info for those that do.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

You can get a tire repair kit. Alot of offroad site sell them. Do you have onboard air or another source?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan to run around sans spare when I have a bumper/tire carrier....and only throw it on when I am going far from home or on the trail.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
What should one do in order to go spare less??? Just carry a can of fix a flat???

I'll be ordering a bike rack tomorrow, and I may not be able to clear the spare. So, to get to the mountain, I may need to rip the spare off temporarily.

Will that vent be fine too??? I'm going to have passengers in the rear, and they're just starting to get over a very cold doors off-top off 1 hour highway cruise from over the summer. I don't want them to NEVER get back into my jeep again if it's freezing.

Way, hey dog, as a Tire Center employee, we don't recommend fix-a-flat...that stuff corrodes the sidewalls if it's in there long enough. I think ARB makes a flat repair kit with plugs, cement, and the like. Just a thought.

Russ D.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 AM
JK Jedi

Is there anyway you can put the spare in the back storage area? If you did have to use fix-a-flat, you won't be able to have the tire properly repaired by a shop. I've used it a couple of times (on smaller car tires) and was a very temporary fix, but didn't last long.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
... I'll be ordering a bike rack tomorrow, and I may not be able to clear the spare. ...
Then the long-term answer to your question may be a receiver hitch extension like this:

drawtite-hitches.com/products/Receiver%20Extension,80307

There are also bike racks that mount to the spare. The huge advantage with them is you can still get into the tailgate without removing the bikes.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool Extension

This is my extension.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

I highly recomend that you don't use fix a flat solution. The best thing to actually use is a tire repair kit and an on board air system like the Source here is a link for it. Good Luck http://www.offroadairstore.com/servl...ce+CO2+Systems

Quick Reply: Going Spare-less