Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

is going w/o doors safe

Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd listen to the man who's making the payments on the Jeep. If that's you, then you have every right to take the doors off. If it's not you, then, honestly, this seems like an unnecessary battle to pick with your old man.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. There's a lot of life ahead of you with more important battles to fight. As long as you're 17 (underage), and your dad is paying for your car, I wouldn't fight him on it. Hell, I worked hard and earned the money to buy my Cherokee when I was 17, and my father still set the rules because he was paying my health insurance and my auto insurance. Listen to your dad, let it go, and wait 'til your age and your wallet says you can make your own decisions regarding your safety.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by balonywolf
I agree. There's a lot of life ahead of you with more important battles to fight. As long as you're 17 (underage), and your dad is paying for your car, I wouldn't fight him on it. Hell, I worked hard and earned the money to buy my Cherokee when I was 17, and my father still set the rules because he was paying my health insurance and my auto insurance. Listen to your dad, let it go, and wait 'til your age and your wallet says you can make your own decisions regarding your safety.
^ x 2 . Definitely abide by your dads rule(s) concerning his Jeep. If you want, try starting a project with him...lets say...a doors off project for a week (you'll need side mirrors). Your dad drives it (and he sets the rules), of course, with you in the passenger seat. Get your feedback from your dad about the door less drives. If he says no, abide by it. If he says yes...your golden. As with all vehicles...drive responsibly .
Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
People find things out, and it is not respecting the vehicle HE is paying for...for YOU. ..
Not respecting the vehicle? pure and simply not respecting your father...

That being said, if he rides in with the doors off, he'll be hooked and probably change his view. My 73 year old father used to make fun of the doorless jeep until he rode in it now he loves it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ericzins

That being said, if he rides in with the doors off, he'll be hooked and probably change his view. My 73 year old father used to make fun of the doorless jeep until he rode in it now he loves it.
+1 Get him in it and he will love it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ericzins
I worded that wrong, thats what I meant
Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Parts and debris hitting you in a collision without doors or tube doors is more prevalent. I prefer to keep my arms and legs in my rig, I've yet to take mine off, but would pickup some half doors at a decent price.

I certainly don't condone taking the doors off elsewhere and 'dad' not knowing. People find things out, and it is not respecting the vehicle HE is paying for...for YOU. The only alternative is to start taking over payments, or ride by the rules. Simple as that..

Well stated!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

From structual point of view, the doors really do nothing on a JK, unlike most vehicles, the doors are not required for structual integrity.

Now, in case of a collision or roll over, yes they would help to keep body parts in and debris out for the most part.

As for me, I'm doorless most of the time, even with my kids. I know there are risks, but there are risks in everything we do. My kids don't ride their bikes or walk to the Circle K, even though it's less than 1/2 mile from the house, unlike when we were kids, we'd ride miles from our hours to do stuff. Times change, but I can't shelter them from everything and I want them to have some sense of the freedoms we had, so I go doorless.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
As for me, I'm doorless most of the time, even with my kids. I know there are risks, but there are risks in everything we do. My kids don't ride their bikes or walk to the Circle K, even though it's less than 1/2 mile from the house, unlike when we were kids, we'd ride miles from our hours to do stuff. Times change, but I can't shelter them from everything and I want them to have some sense of the freedoms we had, so I go doorless.
Beautifully put. We used to ride our bikes everywhere when I was a kid and basically spent all summer kicking around outdoors (OK, open fields, construction sites, and other suburban marvels). Times truly have changed and it's a real shame. I don't go doorless, but I do try to expose my kid to the outdoors as much as possible, in large part to instill in her a sense of wonder for the world and spirit of adventure.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Knock on your doors. Feel how wimpy the metal is!? I suppose they'll add more protection than going doorless, but not with a high impact. What'll protect you from a side impact are probably some gnarly rocker knockers and/or a decent lift. Go doorless!

Quick Reply: is going w/o doors safe