Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

gopro angles

Old 04-23-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gopro angles

Any gopro junkies out there know the best angles and mounting locations for offroad awesomeness?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepgeek15
Any gopro junkies out there know the best angles and mounting locations for offroad awesomeness?
Top off on the sport cage, with a tube mount on a slider(driver side imo), if you have a hoop on your bumper(my new one has a lot of tube estate), doors off mounted on the top hinge.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
Top off on the sport cage, with a tube mount on a slider(driver side imo), if you have a hoop on your bumper(my new one has a lot of tube estate), doors off mounted on the top hinge.
do you have a photo of your bumper and the hinge idea because im not quite understanding it
Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Top of the windshield and on the front bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	644870 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2827.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	644871
Old 04-24-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeepgeek15
do you have a photo of your bumper and the hinge idea because im not quite understanding it
My bumper is the genright aluminum stubby with radiator hoop and trail stinger. Lots of tube, planning on mounting to top of radiator hoop with a tube clamp as seen in shutterbug pics.

Old bumper was an LoD mid with the smaller hoop for lights and mounted a camera very well.

The hinge is my buddies brain child. When you remove the doors the hinge locations have a pin hole in them. He fabbed us up some post mounts that bolt into the factory door hinge with a quarter inch by 1 1/2" bolt. Gets a bit close in tight areas sometimes but is a great spot.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Coolest angle I ever got was when I mounted the gopro right on top of the sound bar. Pointed slightly down and with no doors. Used the suction cup mount
Old 04-24-2016, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I shoot a lot of video footage. If you place cameras outside the cabin, then check frequently for dust contamination lest you lose valuable footage.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I shoot a lot of video footage. If you place cameras outside the cabin, then check frequently for dust contamination lest you lose valuable footage.
I use the GoPro app on my tablet. I can see larger stuff, like mud, on the preview. But, you're absolutely right, I have a few shots that were ruined because I had too much dust on the lens cover. :(
Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I use the GoPro app on my tablet. I can see larger stuff, like mud, on the preview. But, you're absolutely right, I have a few shots that were ruined because I had too much dust on the lens cover. :(
Another problem with GoPros outside the cabin is the audio recorded--remember, half of a video is the audio track. I use a Skeleton Housing for the one inside, but the original waterproof housing for the one outside. In editing, I often copy the audio of engine noise from the one inside to use on the video track for the one outside (if a video editor can't handle at least a half dozen audio and video tracks, upgrade to something that can). But, that still loses the CB and in-cabin chatter (well, doesn't have to, but a GoPro mounted to the bumper hearing the CB chatter might seem weird). Sometimes I copy the audio from another vehicle's camera: In the case of the WABDR video, I had a camera in another vehicle (Spicoli, I'm looking at you, LOL!) that had the waterproof housing. As we were transiting The Jungle there were branches and leaves scraping against the paint. It came out all muffled on that particular camera. So, I took audio from two other cameras in Skeleton Housings and replaced that audio. It was a bit tricky because I had to ensure that the audio of a branch slapping against the windshield, then scraping across the top was synched with the video of that action. It was kind of fun to do, but somewhat of a pain as opposed to had I had another Skeleton Housing. On top of that, Spicoli was running a bikini top, which sounds a bit different than the hardtop sounds I actually used. But, except for me saying so, most folks would have no idea ...

There are three GoPros in use. Spicoli's is the JK with no hood shovel or axe. Mine has the shovel and axe, and limb risers. The last one has a shovel and axe and no limb risers. 9:20 if not forwarded automatically ...

https://youtu.be/49D7YupyDBY?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmvMm6glhVTiB1Rdvx80ptb&t=560 Certainly one thing I'd really like to do is get more camera angles, including GoPro. But keeping up with batteries is a bit of a hassle--the one on my inside windshield is always powered on, making it easy to start recording immediately when something interesting is happening. And there is the business of setting cameras when with a group. Some groups are super enthusiastic for me to shoot video, and therefore very cooperative with delays to set cameras up, retrace trails, etc. Others are more ambitious to get to camp. You kind of have to feel that out and go along with group sentiment.

If anyone watched my Death Valley videos you may have noticed I used a lot more camera angles (for the non-GoPro mostly). That was because I was usually by myself, so wasn't delaying anyone from getting wherever we were headed. LOL: The only stretch where I didn't use multiple camera angles was the descent over Lippincott Pass--I picked up a buddy for that trip and he had no CB, so there was no opportunity to coordinate setting cameras, etc. Plus, honestly, I think we were both in a hurry to get out of the remote backcountry before the sun set.

Another consideration: Having too much video is really a pain. Just letting the camera record everything means that afterwards you have to watch everything (or why did you record it in the first place?). You have large files to store and manipulate. It makes creating a final video more difficult. If you're just doing a half day trail in Moab, that's one thing. But, if you're doing eight days of all day travel across Southern Utah, that's a lot of video, especially if you also throw in some good HDSLR/micro four-thirds footage (which will dramatically improve the viewability of your video because now instead of everything being wideangle you can actually pinpoint a subject of interest).

Quick Reply: gopro angles