Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got my tires rotated

Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my tires rotated

Hey All,

I got my tires rotated and balanced over the weekend and now they are noisier than ever. It also feels like the JK drifts more now.

It had been a long time between the last rotation and I knew I'd lost or weight or something, because I had some serious vibrations at about 50mph, I just never got around to taking it in - I know stupid move.

My question, have I ruined my tires? Is the "wump wump wump" sound I hear going to get worse?

The tires are the stock Rubicon BFGs and have just under 30k miles on them.

Thanks all.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I rotate my tires every 6,000 miles. It seems that when I rotate them they are louder for about 200 miles or so and then they quiet down. I don't know how long you went between rotations but if you are lucky they will quiet down in about a week or so depending on how much you drive.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKRUBI
I rotate my tires every 6,000 miles. It seems that when I rotate them they are louder for about 200 miles or so and then they quiet down. I don't know how long you went between rotations but if you are lucky they will quiet down in about a week or so depending on how much you drive.
That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Ya I noticed that too. What's up with that!?!?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I havent had to yet but im going to rotate my tires every oil change to make sure they dont get choppy. Once that happens your ride will be horrible and forget trying to balance them
Old 09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot and waited too long a while back. tires got "choppy" a decent bit, rotated them, drove for a couple hundred miles, choppy went away, have rotated 2 times since then (every 3000 miles) and they're back to normal. Now that they're back, I'm going to go back to rotating every 6000 or so.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With our Rubicons' M/T tires, its really important that you rotate them often. More often than standard tires. It sounds like you definitely waited way too long to have the rotated.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cunningwolf09jk
I havent had to yet but im going to rotate my tires every oil change to make sure they dont get choppy. Once that happens your ride will be horrible and forget trying to balance them
That's what I do and I do a 5 wheel rotation.

To the OP: How long is "a long time" since your last rotation? The thing about M/Ts is that if you don't keep them balanced and rotated properly, you will hate them towards the end of their life eg 30K miles...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atl JK
That's what I do and I do a 5 wheel rotation.

To the OP: How long is "a long time" since your last rotation? The thing about M/Ts is that if you don't keep them balanced and rotated properly, you will hate them towards the end of their life eg 30K miles...
Thanks for the advice. I know I definitely waited too long - it was probably about 12k since the last rotation. The first 15k - 18k I was so good about doing it myself after every oil change, then got too busy/lazy. Leason learned. Right now It is not too bad and it feels like it is getting a little better, but I may just be getting used to it.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Yep, same here

Quick Reply: Got my tires rotated