Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got the top down today!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeephrog
You beat me to the punch! The weather here in L.A. New Mexico is "scheduled" to be sunny with lows in the 30's and highs in the upeer 50's for the rest of the week. With that I put the top down last night.

This was the first time I have folded the soft-top and It was a bit of a pain. I had a very hard time releasing the over-the-front-door plastic-in-the-ridge sections and getting the boot on nicely.

Anybody else experience this? Its probably because it has never been taken down before but thought I'd ask. Also, anyone else getting a rattle from the plastic door frames when you hit a bump? At least I think it is coming from there.
i read someone else saying the door frame rattle a bit with the top down, that seems normal to me as my first jeep wi th half doors did the same. As for the seat belts flapping, anyone ever just buckle them up with nobody in them. I did it on my TJ all the time to keep them from flapping and to keep the buckles from falling through the seat... i'm sure the velcro works great too, but i know i would lose them... so i'll just keep buckling up my invisible friends for now.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
As for the seat belts flapping, anyone ever just buckle them up with nobody in them. I did it on my TJ all the time to keep them from flapping and to keep the buckles from falling through the seat... i'm sure the velcro works great too, but i know i would lose them... so i'll just keep buckling up my invisible friends for now.
Buckling them doesn't help. They flap if you are wearing them.

You can't lose the strap. Once you put it on it stays on, no need to remove it. The part that flaps is the belt running up the pillar. If you need to see a picture, let me know, I'll go out and snap one.

Edit: Here you go.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome. Thanks Rubimon. The picture sealed the deal for me. I'm off to Home Depot...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Buckling them doesn't help. They flap if you are wearing them.

You can't lose the strap. Once you put it on it stays on, no need to remove it. The part that flaps is the belt running up the pillar. If you need to see a picture, let me know, I'll go out and snap one.

Edit: Here you go.

[IMG][/IMG]
OIC... in my TJ it was the whole belt that would flap, so buckling them did the trick, i didn't realize it was the inner part that flapped on these... and i meant when i have passengers riding and took the velcros off i would prolly lose them, although, i suppose i could just strap them back to the roll bar without the belt and not lose them that way. I guess i'll also be picking up some velcro straps from the Depot soon enough. I wonder though, if you were to first loop the belt behind the offending noisy when flapping part of the belt, then buckle it what would happen... i bet i would just end up with a tangled mess everytime someone were get in... i suppose i'll just get some straps when the weather breaks... Oh i wish i had a soft top, the hard top is nice, but is worth taking off on the semi warm days where a softop that comes with you, well that i would have folded back all the time. Thanks for the pic.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The back ones dont flap because the strap runs down the front of the roll bar instead of the side.

The wind just flies right through there and it sounds like the baseball card in the spokes we all have done at some point in our lives.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, my seatbelts were flapping like crazy. I like to think of it as applause.

I do need to get some sort of a strap, though. I'm planning all sorts of trips through the mountains this summer with the top down.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiernan
Yeah, my seatbelts were flapping like crazy. I like to think of it as applause.

I do need to get some sort of a strap, though. I'm planning all sorts of trips through the mountains this summer with the top down.

I have my old elastic/velcro blousing straps holding mine down.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I have my old elastic/velcro blousing straps holding mine down.
What a great idea...I wonder if I have any extras.

Quick Reply: Got the top down today!