Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Great Debate, once and for all, X vs Rubicon...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Great Debate, once and for all, X vs Rubicon...

Ok, so I bought an X after much debate between that and Rubicon...
So first, the cost difference between the two, comparably equipped.
I have heard about 8 grand most commonly. I can tell you that the dealerships seem to be a more willing to bargin on an X than a Rubi that they can't seem to keep around on the lot for long at all. I know the diff between mine was about 9 grand when looking at the price I paid and MSRP but we'l just go with 8 grand for arguments sake.

The Rubi comes with
1) Dana 44 front with electric locker and 4:10's
2) Dana 44 rear with electric locker, 4:10's AND 33 spline axles.
3) Electronic swaybar disconnects
4) Cooler/better/bigger wheels+tires
5) 4:1 transfercase
6) Rocker protection

The (my) X comes with
1) Dana 30 front, open diff and 4:10's
2) Dana 44 rear with open diff, 4:10's and 30 spline axles
3) No disconnects for swaybar
4) Lame small stationwagon wheels/tires
5) 2.something:1 lame transfercase
6) Nothing :(

To remedy these things, I bought...
1) Stock Rubicon Dana 44 (1450.00)
2) ARB and Chromoly shafts (33 spline) for the stock D44 (1150.00)
- needed ARB air compressor to actuate the locker and locker install (400.00)
3) Disconnects that came with my RE lift. (0.00)
4) 37x13 tires on 18" wheels (2200.00) but we'll call it 500
5) Atlas 4speed transfercase (2800.00)
6) Better aftermarket sliders (500.00)

Explanations
1) The stock rubi axle is fairly stout and I intend to install some chromoly shafts as well (620.00)
2) The rear will be a LOT stronger than the stock rubi rear
3) I have heard of problems with the electronic disco due to more articulation with a lift so I didn't really want it anyways.
4) Stock Rubi wheels/tires can be had for 500 practically new on the forums but they wouldn't have done me much good anyways except for selling since I was gong bigger no matter what so we'll give it a value of 500.00
5) This is the king of transfercases and knowing I want to keep the strength of the stock gears in the axles, I wanted a little lower gearing with the 37's...ok a LOT lower gearing :2thumbsup: 10.3:1 in ultra low!
6) Aftermarket sliders that are made to take a BEATING, although I have heard the stock rubi ones are decent.

So the total that I SAVED over a Rubicon is 580.00 and mine is WAY stronger than a stock Rubicon with
- Chromoly shafts all the way around
- ARB in the rear
- Way stronger transfercase with more gearing options including 10.:1
- On board air (from arb compressor)

Which one would you rather have stock Rubicon or comparably built X?

This is just my input on "The Great Debate"

Last edited by ASTAR; 01-12-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: forgot rocker protection
Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

need pics! i wanna see it!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
JK Junkie

Why is it always the X guys that start these threads...

Last edited by bly109; 01-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

well i have to say that i have a Rubi and i agree with you completely. You built a tougher rig for roughly the same price. but for me it depends on your needs, wants, and willingness to wait. I personally got an incredible deal on my Rubi and trade at the time, and all my rubi stuff is under warranty. even though with the lift, its getting harder to keep it under warranty, you get my point. Plus, for the trails i do and the amount of wheeling i do, the rubi what just perfect for me for now. As i break it, i'll upgrade it, but currently it suits me well. For me it was a better choice to get the rubi, but purely Numbers, you've proved that you can in fact build a better/tougher and certainly lower geared transfer case (10:1 is friggen sick!!!) for even a little less. In the end, none of us leave our JKs entirely stock. we all personalize them to a point. some of us have limits as to how into it we're will to go. Like i said, purely numbers, you've won this arguement. but factoring more than just cost, it still may be more worth it to get a rubi for some people.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd rather have a stock Rubicon personally
Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go Sahara!

If I had one, it would be two wheel drive and you'd all be in awe at my 18" rims and silvery bumper thing. The colour keyed fenders would put your lockers to shame. While your hitting the trails I'd be crawling the mall lots showing off my new chrome appearance package and surf board which I permanently attached to the freedom top and saying things like "Dude" and "Tubular, dude!". But alas, I have a 4x4 X so I guess I'll have to make the best of it.

No offense to 2WD Sahara owners from California who enjoy the surfer lifestyle.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like you built a really nice rig with a lot of goodies... The only thing I am going to call you on is the price difference between the X and the Rubicon. I have read this price gap debate before, and never have I been able to figure out how people come up with this elusive 8-9K difference in price! The only true way to compare is options for options; and even then it is hard to due because you still need to factor in the costs involved in shipping, labor, and taxes on the upgrade items…It is not as simple as taking a base model Rubicon price and comparing it to a base model X price! They are not the same. But to keep it simple mathematically we will just compare the price of both with the fewest options possible; in other words nothing but the base model, no other options added.

Base X: msrp $23,863.00 Inv $21,863.00

Base Rubicon: msrp $30,195.00 Inv $27,601.00

Rubicon Inv: $27.601.00
X Inv: $21,863.00
Difference: $5,738.00

Rubi msrp: $30,195.00
X msrp: $23,240.00
Difference: $6,955.00

I was able to negotiate below invoice pricing on my Rubicon; and judging by your comments about what you paid, you came up with your 9k figure based upon the msrp price of a Rubicon, but not the msrp price of an X. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I understood you achieved the dollar figure of 9k? You also must have paid below msrp for your X.

Regardless, if you look at the invoice price of both you will see that there is only a difference of $5,738.00… Not $8,000.00 or $9,000.00 difference!

So, the numbers are off by $2,262.00 to begin with. Then like I said, you need to factor in the other cost involved with the modifications. Taxes, Shipping Charges, and Labor…

Regardless, I happen to love wrenching on things; always have since I was a kid, I find it very therapeutic and good for my soul. I would’ve loved the opportunity to build up my JK just the way I wanted it even if it did cost more in the end, because I would get the enjoyment of building it my way. But, the wifey is just to large of a pita when it comes to me spending money on upgrades that it would take me years to sneak in all of the things it requires for me to get an X built similar to the Rubicon… LOL, the first time a pair of axles showed up at my front door the wife would have her nose in everything from that point on… I don’t need the hassle.

Wheels, tires, bumpers are one thing; she can look at those and say how pretty…But the rest of it would just be a hassle. But if anything breaks, it will need to be upgraded errr, I mean fixed….
Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
Go Sahara!

If I had one, it would be two wheel drive and you'd all be in awe at my 18" rims and silvery bumper thing. The colour keyed fenders would put your lockers to shame. While your hitting the trails I'd be crawling the mall lots showing off my new chrome appearance package and surf board which I permanently attached to the freedom top and saying things like "Dude" and "Tubular, dude!". But alas, I have a 4x4 X so I guess I'll have to make the best of it.

No offense to 2WD Sahara owners from California who enjoy the surfer lifestyle.

i'm with this guy, bra. however i care not for the feelings of 2wd jeep owners.

i considered rubi vs x when purchasing...i opted for the X and will modify it as I see necessary--only after I get enough seat time to understand what tricks do i need.

pay now or pay later. thats all.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:43 AM
JK Super Freak

ya you saved 580.00 bucks

but my locker's axels and t - case are gaurenteed for much longer time
Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

It was really hard for me to decide too. Ultimately though, I am not gonna want to lift and mess with drivetrain, etc. So, the Rubi just makes more sense for me. A really strong trail machine out of the box, and not THAT much for the payments over the life of the loan. just my .02

Quick Reply: The Great Debate, once and for all, X vs Rubicon...