Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Great Debate, once and for all, X vs Rubicon...

Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ASTAR
...cost difference between the two, comparably equipped.
I have heard about 8 grand most commonly. ...we'l just go with 8 grand for arguments sake.

The Rubi comes with ...
5) 4:1 transfercase

The (my) X comes with...
4) Lame small stationwagon wheels/tires

...So the total that I SAVED over a Rubicon is 580.00 and mine is WAY stronger than a stock Rubicon ...This is just my input on "The Great Debate"
I priced both in Dec '06 and got to $6,000 difference in actual selling price, which included the 17" wheel package for the X (which I bought). So using YOUR math, you actually paid $2,080 MORE than a comparably equipped Rubicon. Yours IS stronger though.

Originally Posted by bly109
Why is it always the X guys that start these threads...
Not this "X guy." If I had another $100/month in the budget I would have bought the Rubicon. It all came down to what I could afford. I will say that I have not nearly spent the $6000 price difference in upgrades and mine is WAY more capable than a STOCK Rubicon (entirely due to the 37" tires).

Last edited by Renegade; 01-13-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i had the money i would have bought the Rubicon. I think every time this debate gets started everyone misses the point. The Rubicon is built to be taken off the dealer lot and hit the hard trails right away. If you compare the completely base package X vs a completely base package Rubicon look what you have? One has open diffs and small street tires. The other has 32" tires, rock rails, better gearing (in the 08 models), disconnects for better flex and the biggest point, factory installed lockers.

Yes you can probably by a base X and build it equal or better than a Rubicon for an equal price if you did all the labor but that kinda ruins the debate of which one is better. Hands down for offroad use completely stock the Rubicon is the best. Not to mention, you build X swapping axles and you no longer have a warranty but that Rubicon owner does.

I dont see why this is such a big debate. THis would be like getting a mustang forum and seeing someone debate which is better, V6 or V8?

And notice, im a X owner
Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to stay out of this discussion. But, I'll jump in and agree with everything that BigJerm has said. Besides I don't think it could be taken as well coming from a Rubicon owner.

I bought the Rubicon, because I wanted what it offered off the lot. I plan on upgrading certain things like the suspension, tires, drive shafts, and gearing. But, I didn't want to mess with axles (sans gears which is unavoidable) and especially not the transfer case. Most of the work I will not do myself for several reasons including: equipment, time, and mechanical inclination.

It all comes down to what is the right fit for the person.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

of course the rubicon is stronger out of the box --- i bought an x because i don't like power EVERYTHING and the gps would have just sat there -- i like a bare bones jeep i can take to the beach and not worry about sand and salt -- and if you plan on keeping the jeep as long as i do all that stuff will break over time -- so like was said it depends on what each person wants --
Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Don't know what the whole ordeal is about.

You buy what you plan to do with the vehicle.

I own a Wrangler so I can get to some areas other people can't so I can camp. I love camping.. a slightly upped X model has not been able to make it anywhere I've wanted to go yet. ALmost got stuck in mud once, but didn't.

If you plan on taking a $34,000 machine and seeing how far you can take it before you break it, (X model or otherwise) more power to you.

I'd rather invest the money and just go camping.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I didn't see you mention time or labor. That what surely affect your estimates. For me, the Rubi was the only option. My purchase budget was a lot better than my aftermarket budget (for an explanation, look up 'wife' in the dictionary), and I didn't want to wait too long for all the goodies. Everything will be upgraded as I need it, but this way I can see what I need first. It's been rough waiting for the stock rubi tires to wear out so I can get my lift (22000 miles. Halfway there, maybe?)
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

You left out labor, as everyone who makes this comparison does. For me, labor would run atleast 3-4K more, as I dont have the time or talent to swap diffs, t/cases set up rear ends...ect. I think without question the Rubicon is a steal saving thousands of dollars and hours of head aches to get reliable, stokc equipment with a warranty. If paying more to do it yourself, or differently is good for you, thats fine. I will save the money for things like lift, winch, bumpers, ect.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bought my Rubi for invoice ($26K) -- once an X was optioned to closely match the Rubi it was maybe $2k extra for the Rubi. Strongest Jeep made with a lifetime powertrain warranty -- I can't image the warranty still being valid on a heavily modified X.

If my world changes and I have to sell my Rubi ( ), I figure I'll get more money from a Rubi than a heavily modified X. It's been my experience that the best way to get your money out of mods when you sell is to remove them and sell them separately. This means more time/effort to get the parts off and sell them.

I guess my question for you is what can you get for your modified X now if you ran into tough times and had to sell? How would this compare to a Rubi? What would a dealer give you for the mods you made if you had to trade it in?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you really want to save money, buy a two wheel drive and add the four wheel parts. I would not want to do that, I guess thats why I bought a Rubi...
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Buy a Rubicon, do all the upgrade you want and sell the stock Rubicon parts for more than stock x parts.

I've owned 2 Rubicons (1 JK and 1 LJ in addition to a TJ X, a few YJs and a CJ ). My Rubicons were probably more capable than I would have ever needed but they still were only starting points for me to do the mods I wanted to do. Funny thing is I never modded any of my non-Rubicons, unless you count the YJ I cut in half to make a trailer.

For some reason the following matters to some people...the Rubicon will ALWAYS have a higher resale value but you have to take into consideration it cost more to buy in the first place.

It may be stupid but I like having "special" or different vehicles. Not that the Rubicon is "special" but it is an "upper" level, not as common model ( or it used to be ). That's why I had the 5.9 Grand Cherokee, a GMC Syclone, a Unimog, a city bus, a Buell Firebolt and a few other strange and/or unusual vehicles.

Last edited by davidwm71; 01-13-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: The Great Debate, once and for all, X vs Rubicon...