Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

hard decision

Old 05-23-2008, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard decision

hey folks, I've been looking at a Wrangler for some time, and right now we own a Liberty Renegade, and a GMC Canyon pickup. My wife is trying to get me to trade in the truck on a new 2dr Wrangler, but here's the hard part: I feel like we need a truck for all around home stuff (just bought our first house a year ago, doing a lot of hauling stuff here and there), and we looked at trading in the Liberty for a 4dr, but we owe too much on it. Did any of you guys eliminate your truck for a Wrangler and get a trailer in place of it? I would LOVE the wrangler, I just don't know if it's the best idea at this point. Your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2008, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cucmd1
hey folks, I've been looking at a Wrangler for some time, and right now we own a Liberty Renegade, and a GMC Canyon pickup. My wife is trying to get me to trade in the truck on a new 2dr Wrangler, but here's the hard part: I feel like we need a truck for all around home stuff (just bought our first house a year ago, doing a lot of hauling stuff here and there), and we looked at trading in the Liberty for a 4dr, but we owe too much on it. Did any of you guys eliminate your truck for a Wrangler and get a trailer in place of it? I would LOVE the wrangler, I just don't know if it's the best idea at this point. Your thoughts?
I did this a few years ago, we sold our gas hog truck and bought a 6x10 trailer to tow behind our Cherokee. I do not regret doing this, the trailer will carry more than the truck and costs less to maintain. Keep in mind the trailer tow rating on the 2-door JK is significantly less than the 4 door which I believe is around 4k. Our Cherokee's are rated at 5k but I would never tow that much with one.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also trailer with my 2dr. had a 4x8,, recently sold it and plan on picking up a 5x8 with fullsized wheels.. They tow great. Also the hit you will take on the libby is bad right now. Was at the dealer yesterday, my 06 libby aniversary edition-loaded, that was 26K 2 years ago, We bought it just as the 07's were about to hit, and they said KBB was 10,025 with only 27K miles in mint condition. And they didnt budge off list of the 4dr.. So I'm keeping the libby for a little more.
The wife doesn't feel ok in such a "small" vehicle since our accident. She hasnt driven since mid march and wont get behind the wheel, so why should I get her a new 4dr now? I'll wait till she drives and the 09's are out..
Good luck,,
Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xjtrailrider
I did this a few years ago, we sold our gas hog truck and bought a 6x10 trailer to tow behind our Cherokee. I do not regret doing this, the trailer will carry more than the truck and costs less to maintain. Keep in mind the trailer tow rating on the 2-door JK is significantly less than the 4 door which I believe is around 4k. Our Cherokee's are rated at 5k but I would never tow that much with one.
Yes, the 2dr only has a towing capacity of 2K, so that's important to take into consideration.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the 4dr. have a look at this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=truck
Old 05-23-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I will say it depends on the expected loads you plan to be hauling. For the most part with what I haul the trailer is good. There have been a couple of times when I would have prefered to still have a truck instead of hauling a trailer (ease of travel/parking). I will say it takes a little more thought/planning to run pick something up but hey it's more than a good trade off to get the wrangler.

BTW I got rid of my little truck 16 months before getting the wrangler. I made the decision to go with a trailer for my hauling instead of a truck because it was easier to fit the whole family in a larger vehicle and still haul something if needed.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss my pickup.
I bought a new screen door for the house... had to take the packaging off to get it in the Jeep I just didn't even think of how to get it home, had the truck for 12 years and never had to think of it.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the input. I might do a test drive Saturday and see. I'm not worried about the tow rating on the 2dr, because if I need to tow anything I'd use the Liberty since it's got a 5,000lb rating. Still thinking. Later,

Clay
Old 05-23-2008, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

We have a Chevy 2500 HD that we use for hauling our 5th wheel trailer. The problem is we have a Reese hitch mounted in the box of the truck and pulling it out is a nuisance. So we bought a utility trailer with an old 8 ft. pick up box on it. We use that to haul furniture, trash to the dump, etc. It works perfectly for us.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cucmd1
thanks for the input. I might do a test drive Saturday and see. I'm not worried about the tow rating on the 2dr, because if I need to tow anything I'd use the Liberty since it's got a 5,000lb rating. Still thinking. Later,

Clay
Sorry for the hijack but i have to ask. How come the liberty does 5000 and the jeep only 2000, can anyone briefly explain please.

Quick Reply: hard decision