Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard Top hoist

Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Take a look at my Hardtop hoist/storage write-up thread. I opted for a little more beefy setup than ratchet straps. It's an easy on - easy off solution and provides great storage for the top and panels.

awesome setup!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
Running the Harken strap from the door area through the tailgate is an unpleasant experience? It takes less than a minute!

And, I would rather have 4 mounting points in the ceiling than just one for safety reasons. Plus, there's much less chance of the top rotating around as it's being raised or lowered.
That's fine. No reason to get defensive. I just listed the reasons I didn't care for the Harken. Your mileage may vary. Yes, it's an unpleasant experience, one that I rather not have to deal with. If it takes you less than a minute, that's great also. It doesn't take me anytime, because I don't have to do it with the hoist I got, so that's one less minute for me and one less hassle to deal with.

Don't give yourself a false sense of security with that 4 mounting point theory. One of those points breaks and your entire top still comes crashing down and the last I checked, steal cable that the Lange hoist uses is still stronger than fabric straps. If it wasn't, then we would all be winding our winches with fabric straps instead of steal cable.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bbolander
the top definitely wants to rotate with the lange. it's easy enough to guide by finger touch though. when stored, you'll need to add some straps to something to keep it from rotating. I don't have that problem since I have a 12 ft garage ceiling and already had a wood frame to set mine on after it's hoisted up from when I stored my Bronco steel tops. the two straps you see were used to keep it straight while I was pulling the JK out and putting the wood supports in.

Attachment 487952
I have 2 bungee chords hanging from cross member beam near each end of the side hooks. When My hardtop is on my JK, the bungee chords hold the hoist up further so I don't bump my head on it, since I only have about a 7'6" ceiling. When the roof is hanging in the hoist, the bungee chords are wrapped around those same points, so it doesn't spin.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-13-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 8' ceiling so space is tight. I have a strong garage door frame that's just wide enough to use a couple of ratchet straps. It's a 2 door garage with 2 single sized doors. At first I ran 2 2x4's across with holes on each end to thread my straps thru. That worked ok. Now I just run my straps in an X pattern and since I didn't have 2 that were long enough I had to use 4 total which makes it much smoother. The wood beams would conflict with the spare and the X let's me get the tip floating and I can drive out without a fight. The 4 ratchets let's me raise all 4 corners up nice and even.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130818_083713.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	489206   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130818_083835.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	489207   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130818_083934.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	489208  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Namtaru
I used 2 on my 2 door, now use 3 (one for the rear window) on my 4 door to compensate for more weight towards the rear.

Have had my top off for almost a month before with zero ill effects.

What I do is lift it up about 2" higher than stock, then just drive out.
To put it back on, i just back it in under the harddtop, then let a little slack out on each strap, and it falls right back into place.

How is this working out for you with two straps? Im using four hooked to each corner but was thinking to do it this way.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops nevermind im a idiot just realized thats a 2 door.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just re-did my hoist/storage setup in my garage last week. No pictures yet but I will post. There are several components to the system.

1. Brake Winch I got at Northern Tool. Hand crank with rope on it is fine by me. This is bolted to the garage wall centered below #3.

2. A "sled" that I built out of 2x6, carpeted, that lays on the top. It's got a piece of the drilled L-Channel steel down the center and 4 eye hooks. Think of this like the letter "H" with the eye hooks on each corner. 2 ratchet straps crank this sled down to the top anchoring to the 4 eye hooks.

3. Garage ceiling has 4 2x4's bolted to the joists. The joists run lengthwise in my garage and the 2x4's run across the garage, 2 foot apart (so the 4 are a total of 6 foot spaced). Across these I have 3 pieces of the steel L-Channel lengthwise - one in the middle and one on either side offset by 36". These are bolted into each of the 2x4's.

Brake winch line is run up the wall across the ceiling and down some pulleys off the center L-channel. I can adjust the hoist point to make sure that my glass doesn't hit the back wall using the different holes on the L-Channel.

I hoist the top just off the Jeep and then move the Jeep out of the garage. I have 2 pieces of 2x6 that I bolt to the top using the mounting holes that bolt it to the bed of the Jeep. These run across the top and have eye hooks on the ends.

Once the 2x6's are in place I hoist the top as high as I want and use chains off the 2x6's to the other L-Channels on the ceiling making 4 anchor points. Yes if one fails it's going to make the top fall in one corner but the other 3 will hold (don't ask me how I know). Once the chains are in place I unweight the brake winch and relax the ratchet straps to take the pressure off the window seal and close the window. All the weight is on the chains now.

Then I take the freedom panels and lay them on the 2x6's.

David

Quick Reply: Hard Top hoist