Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard vs soft top

Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard vs soft top

Does anyone have any experience with the noise difference between the two tops? I know the hard top is quieter...but is it remarkably quieter? I am thinking about getting a hard top as my JK is not only my toy....but my daily driver!

Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my experience, the soft top isnt much louder on the highway..

the difference is ambient noise... If your stopped at a light and a semi is next to you, it sounds like your windows open you can really hear it...

I like the soft top but I do however have my hard top on right now because of winter (although I only use it to preserve the windows on the soft top, road salt is a killer on the plastic windows)
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

The noise difference isn't huge, but you do notice it. Since you live in Texas and problably don't have to worry about snow I'd save some money and got the soft top only.

The only other real issue is security. With the soft top, you have none.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a little quieter with the hard top but not that much. I also have my hard top on for the winter as stated above "road slat is a kilelr for plastic windows"
Old 12-14-2007, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hardtops

I had a hard top and soft w/my TJ

sold the hard top

it was too much hassle... and the noise difference was not that much, you get used to it...

The hard top was just to large to store and the glass too fragile...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I had a hard top and soft w/my TJ

sold the hard top

it was too much hassle... and the noise difference was not that much, you get used to it...

The hard top was just to large to store and the glass too fragile...
How did your soft top hold up to the road salt in the winter?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

We have both tops, and there are things we like about each. If you get the soft top on fairly tight, there is not much noise difference. The hard top is not really insulated, so other than a little better heat retention, not much of a difference in that department either. The JK has a great heating system, by the way.

In winter, we do like the rear wiper, and weather tight nature of the hardtop, and we are in SoCal, so it is really almost 100% rain, except for a trip up the hill once in a while. The security of the hardtop is probably the biggest attraction for us.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My soft top is pretty quiet, much better than the old YJ. Back in Michigan with the YJ I had a hardtop just because it was too hard to heat a soft top in the winter. Now that I live in Florida I have only the soft top.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the radio test. While driving around with the hard top on, I noted the volume level of the radio. When I switched to the Soft top, I similarly adjusted the radio to a comfortable listening level. The volume levels were the same. From this I assumed that the two tops have about the same level of road noise.

SV
Old 12-14-2007, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! I must say this is the best forum I have ever been on. When I posted this question I figured I would get a response or two but nothing like y'all provided! Thanks! More the reason I keep coming around and will stay around!

Quick Reply: Hard vs soft top