Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop creaking/popping

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop creaking/popping

The last few months, I have developed a creak my top, right above the B pillar. It has gotten progressively worse over time. Thought it might be the cold weather. I replaced my tape on my door striker to eliminate that noise and it continued. Well, today, it was warm, 45 so I took my freedom panels off and figured I would check the front bolts of the main part of the top that screw into the area near the B pillar. What do you know, they were loose! Tightened them down, went for a ride. No noises! I haven't had this top completely off since October, it was still warm then. Not sure if the warm/cold and expansion of the metal, along with the flex that the Jeep goes through helped loosen them up or not.

So the moral of the story is, if it's creak'n and knocking, check your bolts to make sure they haven't worked themselves loose!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
sky
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
The last few months, I have developed a creak my top, right above the B pillar. It has gotten progressively worse over time. Thought it might be the cold weather. I replaced my tape on my door striker to eliminate that noise and it continued. Well, today, it was warm, 45 so I took my freedom panels off and figured I would check the front bolts of the main part of the top that screw into the area near the B pillar. What do you know, they were loose! Tightened them down, went for a ride. No noises! I haven't had this top completely off since October, it was still warm then. Not sure if the warm/cold and expansion of the metal, along with the flex that the Jeep goes through helped loosen them up or not.

So the moral of the story is, if it's creak'n and knocking, check your bolts to make sure they haven't worked themselves loose!
I will try this. Been having 'the creak' for a while now. even replaced the little foam padding pieces on the front pieces.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Ah, I will check mine, it started creaking a week ago.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the heads up. Been creaking for a while.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by db99wj
I haven't had this top completely off since October,
Well, there was your problem. That wasn't a creaking noise.....that was your Jeep talking to you and saying, "Please take my top off.....I love driving around topless". It pays to get the Rosetta Stone "Jeep as a second language." learning software. You could have understood every word your Jeep was saying to you and realized that was just not some ordinary creak sound. That was fluent Jeep be spoken to you.

I bet if you would have just took her top off for her, she would have shut right up.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Hardtop creaking/popping