Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop storage bag 2dr no backseat

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop storage bag 2dr no backseat

Anyone have the mopar hard top storage bag mounted in their 2 door JK without the back seat? I was wondering how I can tie mine down without damaging the panels?

Thoughts I had...

1. If the panels can fit around the metal loops that hold the rear seat down to the floor, I can strap it flat down.

2. strapping it standing up around the headrests on the driver and passenger seats?

Oh... and pictures would be appreciated! My JK is still in the shop right now and I'm itching to take the panels off when I get it back. I have the bag, with a custom spacer made of pool noodles and duct tape and 3 rubber tie down straps with hooks.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my back seat and have had a lot more fun and use with my newly aquired back room space. I recently took my freedom tops off and I had been use to straping them down to the back seat but now had to come up with a new place to put them so for now I just put them in my mopar bag and just layed it down in the back but I am worried come time for when I have my soft top down I have no place to keep the freedom top safe.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Why carry the freedom top inside when you have a soft top?

If I come up with something, I will take pictures of my method.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for keeping the (-tops with you is that you can get the wind without buring the top of your scalp off, or even just keeping cool. If you have the hardtop you might as well use it. I am now not to crazy with just removing the T-tops the hardtop is now constantly fluttering in the wind and it is annoying. But that's another topic to get into in another thread.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
I am now not to crazy with just removing the T-tops the hardtop is now constantly fluttering in the wind and it is annoying. But that's another topic to get into in another thread.
I can tell you how to stop the flutter and rattling with the panels off..

Go buy a length of high density foam pipe insulation split tubing, 3/4" ID. Cut it into 4" sections. Tear off the adhesive strip and stick the sides together. Stuff the foam pieces in between the top and the speaker bar. You want at least 1/4 inch clearance under the rubber feet in the inside of the roof. Four pieces of foam will be enough. Just make sure you don't cover the thumb screw holes, or you will not be able to get the screws to thread when you put the panels back on.

This will stop the flutter and rattle. You may find that you will have to reposition the foam for add another piece or two. After a few months, replace the foam pieces with fresh ones as they will eventually crush down and take a set.

The alternative is to do what I did... Invest in a soft top for non-winter months. Of course, the foam costs you $3 vs $600 to $900 for a Trektop or Supertop.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

I have been looking for a soft top!

Quick Reply: Hardtop storage bag 2dr no backseat