Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help calm my fears about ordering

Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help calm my fears about ordering

Ok folks.

I have researching and reading for the last week, and I have a couple concerns about the JK before I go ahead with an order. Since the threads don't always answer exact questions or come to conclusion.

Mainly, my concern is about leaks, from both tops.

First the freedom top. It appears that leaks are happening on tops with the retrofitted seals/gaskets mainly from errors in re-installing them. Is this a reasonably true assessment?

Second, the sunrider top. There are a few rather long threads about leaks above the doors, potential design defects, manufacturing defects, etc. Many of them rather major leaks, and not just a couple drops of water. Some people who have had no luck at the dealers, others who have, but not much in detail. Can someone summarize this situation? Has Jeep come up with a solution that works? Might 08's have changes to minimize, eliminate these leaks.

I've had a TJ in the past, and can put up with a random leak of a bit of water here and there. However, I do not think I want the hassle of lots of leaks a lot of the time. I would hope these issues really are not wide spread, and/or resolved. Any help?

Thanks folks!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both tops and have had no leaks of any kind. I havent had my JK as long as others,but it seems as if the leak problems have been addressed. By the way-GET IT!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Default hmmm

I have the softop and no leaks as of 1 month. I really love my Jk and think if there was a leak, well, I'll fix it or have the dealer fix it. I'm not too worried about it.

First Jeep and I did research for about 2 months before I bought it. Softop was an issue of mine, the 3.8 l was also an issue. The rear access on the 2door is still kinda of an issue, but I wouldnt have it any other way. Get it man (or womyn)! I am completely content.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Almost 12K miles on my JK (built in Feb) and no leaks from the hard top (don't have soft top). Did have a leak around the rear window, but dealership changed seal and it hasn't leaked since. And it's been tested thoroughly--I live in Oklahoma where we've been having our share of rain this spring/summer!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

Originally Posted by Conradfreedumb
I have the softop and no leaks as of 1 month. I really love my Jk and think if there was a leak, well, I'll fix it or have the dealer fix it. I'm not too worried about it.

First Jeep and I did research for about 2 months before I bought it. Softop was an issue of mine, the 3.8 l was also an issue. The rear access on the 2door is still kinda of an issue, but I wouldnt have it any other way. Get it man (or womyn)! I am completely content.
I basically know what to expect overall from my TJ days. (They ended just 5 months ago). I hope to get some time to stop at a dealer this week to drive one, and get a feel for the 3.8L engine. I have a feeling it is fine, although I know there are some who complained about the end of the 4.0L.

Rear access also sounds like a pain, but I would utilize it so little I do not think it would be a big issue. I usually left the seat in my TJ folded up, or out of the Jeep altogether to have the stowage room maximized. (Although, I may consider a 4 door too this time, although I am leaning towards the 2 door).

Thanks again! Any more input from anyone is certainly welcome!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

no leaks on either top

GET THE JK!

coolest vehicle on earth!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

I've got a JK unlimited with both tops and no leaks with either. I've removed and replaced the freedom top numerous times and still no leaks. I have the hardtop on now and a couple of weeks ago my Jeep sat outside while we got
8" of rain in 12 hours and it stayed dry. My hardtopped YJ next to it had to be drained. I'm guessing most of the leaking problems are due to operator error. I also had a TJ before getting the JK. Both it and the YJ were way more leaky than the JK. Get the JK!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Dude... you are totally screwed!!! Just kidding... I have both tops and no leaks whatsoever. I really use my tops too... I am constantly taking the soft top down, folding it back, taking off the freedom top front pieces... whatever. I have had NO problems! Buy with confidence!!! ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE WHEN IT GETS IN!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My JK Jeep order was delayed because of the leak issue.
Apparently there was a recall? ...Mine was made during that time.

Where I live, it rains pretty heavy in the winter & spring.
mine came home with me late spring- I left mine parked nose pointed down hill on my (steep) driveway during a heavy spring rain and noticed a slight drip. (The hard top had not been removed yet)...

-But when I had it parked level during another heavy storm- nothing- it was fine.

…My last 2 jeeps leaked somewhat also (the hard tops)

I haven’t taken this hard top off yet- so I can’t offer any input on the soft top.

The bikini top on my 95 YJ leaked like a Mother during the rains!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the front pieces of the Freedom top in and out numerous times, and the whole Freedome top off and on a couple of times, and no leaks through a variety of hard storms.

Quick Reply: Help calm my fears about ordering