Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

HELP Front Axle Replacement advice

Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HELP Front Axle Replacement advice

Hey guys, I'm very new to everything Jeep so bear with me about everything.

I have 3.6L auto 2013 jk. Lifted with 35s (bear with me I just bought this rig about a month ago so still learning all the upgrades on it), aftermarket bumpers and rock guards

So turns out I have a bent front axle, bent enough that I need to either replace the housing or upgrade altogether. The math about everything points to just saving up more and buying a new front axle altogether.

I just have no clue where to start.

Opinions, suggestions & advice are all welcome!

Thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2017, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What type of Jeep is it?(sport, Sahara, Rubicon?) basiclly is it a D30 or D44 axle.
What type of wheeled do you plan on doing(fire roads, rock crawling, Mud?)

IMO i wouldn't waste any $$ on a D30, you could find a D30 housing and just swap everything over which would probably be your cheapest option but not the best option.
You could find a stock D44 front and swap that in.
The most expensive and preferred option is to do a built D44 or D60 swap.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
What type of Jeep is it?(sport, Sahara, Rubicon?) basiclly is it a D30 or D44 axle.
What type of wheeled do you plan on doing(fire roads, rock crawling, Mud?)

IMO i wouldn't waste any $$ on a D30, you could find a D30 housing and just swap everything over which would probably be your cheapest option but not the best option.
You could find a stock D44 front and swap that in.
The most expensive and preferred option is to do a built D44 or D60 swap.
Its sport, non-rubi. What would be the biggest difference between the 44 & 60?

Been researching more and leaning towards a D44 housing and shifting everything over, would/should I get a different gear ratio with the new housing? The shop I took it to said I'm most likely running 3.21s
Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

How did you bend the axle to begin with? Just curious.

What kinda budget are you working with, and what are the future wheelin plans? As JChappies pointed out, your cheapest option is just replacing the housing and swapping your internals over. That’s fine for the road, but if you’re gonna wheel, money is better spent upgrading. You could keep your eye out for a pair of rubi axles and swap them in, or you could look at aftermarket 44s which would be better, but also pricier. I don’t mean this in a rude way……but if you’re asking differences between 44s and 60s…….you don’t need a 60, it would be overkill for your application.

Keep in mind that changing the gears up front will also require the same gearing in the rear. Don't forget to factor that in to your budget.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Your best bang for the money is to look for a set of rubicon axles with 4.10 or 4.56 gears. Typically you find the pair for $3000-3500. they would be a direct bolt in swap.

Quick Reply: HELP Front Axle Replacement advice