Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help me decide on options! :)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 17" wheels also give you bigger tires. I'd suggest grabbing them now, then it's easier to hold off on getting new tires later.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

I got a X with just about the same items you describe including 17" wheels. I liked (just preference) the 17" wheels and I am glad I got them. I get around 17MPG with mixed driving (18 at the high end and 16 on the low end). The sound system is decent. I did add the side step (might have waited if I did it again) and ordered the factor mud mats (would definitely wait on that - didn't care for the drain holes).
Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deadspot
I got a X with just about the same items you describe including 17" wheels. I liked (just preference) the 17" wheels and I am glad I got them. I get around 17MPG with mixed driving (18 at the high end and 16 on the low end).
Are you saying that the 17 inch wheels are helping you get better gas mileage. I have the 16s and am getting nothing short of dismal mileage.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

After talking with a few other people, it seems that bigger tires do give you better gas mileage as you travel more distance per turn. Works for me!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

No - I didn't meant to draw any connection between the wheel size and gas mileage. Just indicating I like the wheel size and also indicating the gas mileage I was getting. But if there is a connection I should have gone with 18" wheels! But my guess is the opposite is true.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

arent the tires that come on the 17s wider? If so, I think that would decrease your mileage.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

No single characteristic of the tire will give you a definite rule for mileage. Tire\wheel combinations that are heavier give your vehicle more unsprung weight and lower mileage (A reason to have a bigger rubber/alloy ratio) Fatter tires or tires that are very knobby like muds will increase your rolling resistance, so that should decrease mileage. But larger diameter tires have to spin less times for the same engine RPM. That also means that it takes more torque to get them spinning in your low RPMs. Its way to many factors to make an accurate judgement, especially since most people's mileage varies 2 mpg or so anyway.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alrighty! Got another question for you folks! I'm interested in getting the upgraded sound system but would like a little more information about the subwoofer.

If you have the Infinnity sound system with subwoofer, can you post pics please? I asked one of the dealerships I'm working with about the space the subwoofer takes up and they said it does take up some cargo space.

I would like to know how much and where the subwoofer is located. I know I could just go to a dealership and check it out in person, but I'm hoping not to step foot on one until I'm ready to order.

Thanks guys!

Karla
Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bestop it is!!!

Just a bump to say I've completely changed my mind on options! Rather than getting dual tops, I plan on getting a soft top and then purchasing the Bestop 2 piece hard top as soon as I get my JK.

Anyone have one of these tops? If so, how is it? Is it awkward to remove? How heavy is the front portion? Where did you purchase it? So many questions!!!

I've also decided to stick with the standard radio system, get 17" wheels and side steps.

I think the rest will remain the same (S package, auto, power group...).....for now.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Karla,

Why did you decide to eliminate the dual top option? It will save you money in the long run if you plan to have both, and the Freedom Top from Jeep is a 3 piece, which is great if you want to store the front 2 pieces in the rear of the Jeep (that is what I do).

As far as the sound system is concerned, it's pretty nice in my opinion, but if you've had upgraded stereos with 2 10 inch drivers, you're not going to think it's worth a damn.

Limited slip? yes, I would do it.
17 inch wheels? yes, I would do it because 1) it looks better and 2) you get larger tires.

Really though, have you considered getting either a Rubicon package or a Sahara package? Either one of these packages will come with almost all of these options you like along with the essentials seat fabric, and will have great resale after a number of years. Just something to think about.

I really dig your website by the way. Great looking art!

And real cool to see you studied meteorology. My big brother went to school for that, and like you, didn't land a job with the weather service, so he is in the Air Force as a meteorologist. He seems to like it

Last edited by K9Jeeper; 03-21-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on options! :)