Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

? Hill Climbing with an Auto

Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Hill Climbing with an Auto

I have had 5 jeeps prior to my 08 Rubicon Unlimited, they all had been manual transmissions. Where I go four-wheeling, I do a bit of long steep hill climbing. With the manual, I always ran obviousily 4L, aired down and started the climb in 2nd or sometimes 1st, on extreme hills. No problem, just kept constant motion. Coming down the steep grade I used 1st as a braking device, again no problem. With the auto on steep climbs in 4L do I put the auto in Drive or 2nd? Same question on desending the hill, D or 2nd? The articiles I have read seem to indicate leaving it in D, but I wonder if 2nd would be better. Also, this is my first Rubicon, so should I use the lockers on the steep hills?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I use 2nd unless the hill is really steep. I also turn the overdrive off. I have not needed the lockers yet.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I’ve only done a little hill climbing and descents, but when climbing the rear lockers should help because the weight of your Jeep will shift to the rear and lockers will give you added traction. When descending the front and rear lockers should help because it allows you to get engine braking on all 4 wheels - not just 2 wheels (1 front and 1 rear).

So far when I hit any obstacle that doesn’t need speed I go to 4 LO and put it in 1st - crawls right along.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 AM
JK Jedi

4-low and 1st gear in my experience.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

^^^x2 you can always just switch it to 2nd if you feel the need
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default ? Hill Climing with Auto

thanks for the input. I am living in Sun Valley Ca, for another 6 months until the full time move back to Eugene. I noticed a few of you live in Valencia or Canyon Country. It might be fun to get together and make a day run to the off-road park at Hungary Valley in Gorman. If interested, let me know.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortStuff
depending on how steep the decent is with an Auto you dont get much engine braking. If its very steep in driver training they teach us a method called driving through the brakes.
psst this thread is over 1yr old
Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tkob1060
psst this thread is over 1yr old
So????....If it can be bumped up again, and people can still get information from it, what difference does it make?

Quick Reply: ? Hill Climbing with an Auto