Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

honest jk opinion

Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honest jk opinion

Ok guys, first time poster-long time reader.

Im making myself sick, thinking about this and i would love some honest opinions on my issue. My wife has a daily driven 2010 2wd (yes, i said 2wd and please dont beat me up over this, cause i have a 4wd---so no worries) 4 door JK with under 30k on the odometer. She drives to and from work and surprisingly averages high 22's to 23's mpg's.

So my question is, is the 2012 worth a look at. When i was in the dealership last week talking with my salesman, he told me they had one coming in and ive been doing some research on it. Well he called me last night and said that they have it, and told me to come drive it. So my dilema is, do you guys think that the new motor and trans combo will give me that much better of gas mileage. Remember this will be a daily commuter, where if she hits 55mph she is speeding like a bandit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24747_1444346791595_1320875272_31237645_1758750_n.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	208814
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

It never hurts to look unless you just fall in Love with it. But if the mileage is the main stay why dont you look into another suv with better mpg's?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is a gain of 2-3 mpg worth the trade-in for you? If so, get it. You only live once.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

you looking at tradeing yours or your wifes?

either way if there is any fuel mileage increase you will lose that with the trade difference you are going ot have to pay. To me I wouldn't bother. Unless your looking at tradeing your wifes to get a newer Jeep with the new interior features.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming its your wifes JK your talking about trading;

If she is happy with it,
And does not need 4wd,
and it is problem free,

why trade it?

I doubt your going to see enough increase in fuel economy to cover your higher and/or longer payments.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

I don't htink the MPG trade off would be substantial enough to trade unless she just loves the 2012. The hassle of trading and the $ involved probably wouldn't be worth it to do it for that reason alone. But you do only live once like was said earlier and if it something you or she wants then get it but don't do it just for the MPG I think you'll come out on the wrong end of that equasion. Good luck wiht your decision.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure that 2wd is an option in the 12s, so the 4x4 will hurt your mpgs a little. Jut a thought
Old 09-09-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I am not sure that 2wd is an option in the 12s, so the 4x4 will hurt your mpgs a little. Jut a thought
He could remove the front drive shaft if he doesn't plan on ever putting it into 4wd.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
you loose money on trades ! it costs for re registering vehicle, temp plate then insurance premium climbs up a bit , and payments may go up depending on difference of cost ! if the deal isnt so great you loose there as well how much are you saving ??? a little math and its easy to see the 2010 is somewhat new and less costly to operate. a savings in the long run , but 2 wd was a bad choice from the start ! but if she dosent 4 wheel wheres the benifit there . im a firm believer if you dont have issues with a vehicle why mess with it just keep driving it rather than start all the crap all over workin through buggs and maybe even getting less than what you paid for ! that being said, nothing like that new jeep smell though !!! and the feeling of getting up early and cant wait till its light out so you can see it !

!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never change cars for gas mileage alone. It is just a math problem. Even doubling your mileage is usually not enough to justify it when you look at all the added costs. If you just want a sweet new jeep with more power then do it, but look at any mileage as a bonus. Also in my best I'm your father voice. Never buy a new car unless the old one is paid for and you will get much further in life. But since I am not your father you do not have to listen to my opinion.

Quick Reply: honest jk opinion