Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hothead headliner

Old 06-14-2013, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are installed. Excellent packaging and excellent product. I went a step farther and installed B-Quiet Extreme before adding the headliners. I also put B-Quiet Ultimate throughout the rest of the Jeep(almost finished).

Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Update:

The velcro did not work well for me as it did not stick and the headliners started falling after about a week. Also the velcro part is super strong compared to the sticky side of the strips.

I purchased 5 rolls($65.xx) of Scotch 3M double sided outdoor tape and put it around all the edges then the strips in the middle where the velcro originally was stapled. I have a half roll of tape left.

Thanks,
Lusky
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Lusky
Update:
Also the velcro part is super strong compared to the sticky side of the strips.
I noticed this also that the velcro seems to be pretty strong compared to the sticky back of the tape. I guess, the intention for the velcro is so you can take them in and out. However, I feel pretty leery in ever taking them out, because I feel the glue would let go before the velcro. For me, this is really not a problem because I really see no need in wanting to take them out.

I like mine, I purchased them for the looks and to quiet down the interior and they exceeded my expectations on both fronts. The only problem I have had with mine is with the side window surrounds. Since the day I installed them, the front edge tends to pop out on occasion, where I need to push them back into place. This happens on both side window surrounds and I installed them at the same time as everything else. So, I think there is some room for improvement there for the mounting of the side window surrounds. I kind of feel the side window surrounds are almost too tight of a fit going around the raised lip of the window frame edge, where that lip kind of pushes them out a tad and with the weaker velcro tape backing glue it gradually lets loose and starts flapping in the wind where I need to push them back into place. Which demonstrates exactly what you stated in that the glue is weaker than the velcro since it's not the velcro which is letting loose, it's the glue on the back of the velcro strip which holds the velcro to the inside of the hard top that is letting loose.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-26-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Update:

The velcro did not work well for me as it did not stick and the headliners started falling after about a week. Also the velcro part is super strong compared to the sticky side of the strips.

I purchased 5 rolls($65.xx) of Scotch 3M double sided outdoor tape and put it around all the edges then the strips in the middle where the velcro originally was stapled. I have a half roll of tape left.

Thanks,
Lusky
I've been doing the same thing with the 3M outdoor tape. Everytime something falls I slap it back up with the tape. At this point I wouldn't recommend anyone going with the velcro option. It seems like the people who have issues all have velcro. If I had to do it over I would order the 3M tape version.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MonkeyMonsoon
I've been doing the same thing with the 3M outdoor tape. Everytime something falls I slap it back up with the tape. At this point I wouldn't recommend anyone going with the velcro option. It seems like the people who have issues all have velcro. If I had to do it over I would order the 3M tape version.
I agree, it was an expensive lesson for me.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Velcro problems

I agree, it was an expensive lesson for me.
I'm sorry that you and a couple other have experienced problems with the Velcro adhesive holding. The first thing I want to say about that is if anyone has any problems with their headliners if they contact me I will take care of the issue (at no cost). I would have gladly sent you 3M tape or more Velcro. The next think is the hook & loop of the Velcro holding so strongly. We have to use very aggressive hook & loop otherwise the vibrations and bumps from the freeway & off-roading would cause the panels to fall over time. I have written in the instructions how to remove your panels. You can't just reach up and pull them down. You have to get an edge started and then slide your hand or something flat in-between the hook & loop as you pull the panel down.
As for the rear side windows popping out, that was because we were only using 5" pieces of Velcro stuck to your hard top to hold the window panels in. Now we use long pieces of Velcro that run the length and height of the window so there is a lot more Velcro adhesive stuck the hard top. We believe that has solved that issue.
Again, if anyone is having an issue with their headliners if they contact me I will take care of it.

thanks for all you support,

Mark
Old 06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone,

Just to be clear:

I knew Mark would send me 3M Tape and while I appreciate it I have been so busy and time constrained that I just needed to drive to Lowes and buy some or I would have been stuck with hanging or no headliners for the following 2 weeks after the day I did it in Laredo, TX with 110+ degree temps. Please feel free to share my word that I chose to purchase knowing fully Mark was willing to send me what I needed for free. I also was aware that I personally originally thought I wanted permanent 3M Tape but since I was taking the project a step farther with the B-Quiet Insulation that Ive never done before, I went with Velcro not being sure what I would need to do with B-Quiet in between.

I definitely recommend the Hothead Headliners to everyone.

Thanks,
Lusky

Last edited by Lusky; 06-28-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I want to make a similar statement as Lusky. Mark from Hotheads has always been very helpful on this forum and I knew if I had contacted him about the problem I had with the side panels, he would have gone over and above to rectify the problem. However, I never tried to contact him because I felt it wasn't that big of a problem

In all honesty, the front of the sides popped out on me about 3 times over a 9 month period. The last time I pushed them back into place they seem to have stayed for the past 6 months. So I really haven't been all too worried about it.

It's good to hear from Mark, that they're already aware of the problem with the sides and have already fixed it. I originally thought to myself when installing mine that the velco tape was a little too small on the sides.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine have been installed almost a year now. No issues to date. They have been worth every penny just for the sound improvement, but also doing a great job against the Houston summer sun.

Now, I'd like to figure out if I can mount an AEV roof rack with my hothead headliners. If it turns out to be an either/or situation, I'll take the headliners and just get a trailer

my headliners and the Welcome Distributing Grabars are the two add-ons that I literally think, "I'm really glad I bought those." every time I climb in.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have these in the hot and humid Australian conditions and they work a treat. Had a minor issue first up and Mark corrected it immediately (at no cost). Comforting to know when your a consumer sitting on the other side of the globe. Awesome product and first rate customer service.

Quick Reply: Hothead headliner