Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hothead headliner

Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve's 95YJ
I've had the headliner kit installed for a few weeks now, and while it hasn't been cold enough yet to get a true sense of how much heat the kit helps retain (only got to -4C last night), you can definitely feel the difference in temperature when you place your hand on the bare hard top vs the headliner.

I received an e-mail from Mark at Hothead last night asking how the headliner was working out as I may be the the most Northerly owner to date.

I e-mailed him back my findings so far, I hope he doesn't mind me pasting my response to him here.

The headliner kit has been working great so far. No signs of the velcro strips coming off even though it was a little cooler than the recommended installation temperature when I installed it..........that and the fact that I didn't fully clean the rear hardtop area with alcohol before I applied the velcro and attached the headliner.........Doh!

In terms of "cold weather testing", the interior does seem to warm up a little faster than it did without the headliner which is exactly what I was looking for. I think the coldest temperature we've seen so far this winter was -18C (just about 0F) over New Years Eve. The Jeep was parked outside from about 4 pm to 10 am and I can say with 100% certainty that the headliner is helping to keep more heat in the Jeep as the snow and ice that collected on the roof overnight didn't melt on the drive home. Last year on the same drive home, pretty much all the snow and ice had melted off the top by the time I got home and the temperature was pretty close to what it was this year.

The other thing I've noticed with the headliner installed is that the interior is a little quieter now vs. the bare hardtop. It also looks so much better inside than it did with the white hardtop and I've gotten several positive comments on it from the folks at the dealership when I took it in for service.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great reviews, great customer service....
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

When will Chrysler learn that if your product is inching towards the $40,000 mark, you better come up with some color coordinated roof top with some sort of a roof liner like the HOT HEAD headliner and NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fathom
I installed the Hothead liners too. I also had a paint shop paint the interior of the hardtop shell black.

I've thought about doing this too. Did they paint the entire interior of the hard top or just the part that shows around the headliner? I'm assuming you just pulled the hard top and left it there to be painted? Was it expensive? If you had the entire top painted does the velcro stick well to the paint?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Blue
I've thought about doing this too. Did they paint the entire interior of the hard top or just the part that shows around the headliner? I'm assuming you just pulled the hard top and left it there to be painted? Was it expensive? If you had the entire top painted does the velcro stick well to the paint?
We left the areas under the headliners white. That way we were assured that the velcro would stick (and it has).

Yeah I drove out to the paint shop and the owner and I lifted the shell off and he had a couple saw horses set up for it. I had the outside Line-X'ed also so the bill was $300 Line-X, $200 inside shell. He did a perfect job. I Line-X'ed the outside because of after a summer of sitting in an abandoned corner of my garage the outside had several chips in the paint (? ) Not real bad but noticeable. In addition the flimsyness of the top disappeared! I can also drive in the woods and not worry about "natures pin striping"!

One of the best mods I've done.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sounds very reasonable. I'm going to talk to some body shops and go this route. I've wanted to paint the interior black but haven't worked up the ambition to do it. I've seen the job some guys have done with bedliner and some have looked great, some not so much. I'm not sure I could get the results I want with a handful of spray cans. I like the idea of line-xing the exterior, the factory finish seems pretty delicate.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default maybe soon

Glad to hear of so many positive experiences. This mod has been in the back of my mind for a while and with a few long trips in the mountains over the last couple months I'm sure it would've done me well to have had it. Now I'm only disappointed I missed the sale! Ha. Never fails! Too bad my next big trip is in less than 2 weeks now!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Hey guys I was actually thinking of making something like this before I even saw this thread and the youtube videos LOL

can someone ask me what type of material is used that the fabric is glued to? Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

I have been thinking of gettin these, but @ $270 not sure.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
Nice.. My wish List keeps growing & growing & GROWING
Tell me about.....everytime I jump onto this forum and look through the pictures and what accessories other members have put on....my wallet starts to cry The hothead headline is another item that is on my wishlist..crazyeyes:

Quick Reply: Hothead headliner