Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

how do you clean your engine?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you clean your engine?

Ok, so ive gone offroading a couple times already and have been dieing to wash under the hood because the jeep is barely 3 months old and its getting dirtier and dirtier down there. But im scared to hose something im not supposed to, i know the obvious (put towel in air intake and cover the battery terminal) but what else should i avoid soaking? What steps do you guys take? Do you guys use any sprays or degreaser?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

10 views and not one reply? come on guys doesnt anyone clean under their hoods?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

As long as all of your electronics are off, you can technically powerwash the engine/underneath the hood as long as you stand back a couple feet or so.

I personally just take out a steamer and steam the engine/underneath the hood. It takes some time but it turns out great!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, I've never cleaned under the hood of any Jeep I've had. I let the rain wash the outside.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spray simple Green, or Gunk on it, let it soak. Hose it off, after it dries I spray everything with WD-40. Makes it look brand new.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
JK Junkie

X2, I will spray mine from a distance, then usually wipe what I can and rinse. Do not concentrate spray on any electrical areas, and if you have an aftermarket intake, you want to avoid it, or cover it........speaking of this, I should clean my engine too....cheers
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'll try it out just didnt wanna hose something i shouldnt, like the fuse box, or spray something i shouldnt on it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I spray simple Green, or Gunk on it, let it soak. Hose it off, after it dries I spray everything with WD-40. Makes it look brand new.
X2 - BTW I've heard it recommended that you avoid "Steam-cleaning" as it most likely will wreak havoc with the electronic's.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take it to your local spray and wash... coat the engine with the "engine cleaner" setting and let it kick it for a bit. Then go back over it with the full throttle rinse. And like its been said before its up to you to watch out for any custom electronics you have... but stock you should be able to powerwash the engine compartment freely.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just plug the air intake and turn everything off. I have a couple of extra electronics so I make sure their fuses are wrapped tightly with electrical tape. Then pressure wash the living crap out of it with soap and water and then again with just water. Be sure to let the Jeep cool down for a few minutes so you're not hitting a 200 degree engine with 70 degree water.

Quick Reply: how do you clean your engine?