Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How many miles out of 3.8L Engine

Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-ADD77
Wow! Are you serious about 500k? And what is this "maintenance" you speak of?
sorry i'm canadian eh! 500 000km witch is close to 300k for you southerners
Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like for the engine and transmission to last 300K miles, I don't hear of too many that make it that long, but then again todays cars aren't made to last that long anyways.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
sorry i'm canadian eh! 500 000km witch is close to 300k for you southerners
Damn Canadian Metric Geeks eh..
Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc
I would like for the engine and transmission to last 300K miles, I don't hear of too many that make it that long, but then again todays cars aren't made to last that long anyways.
I gotta tell ya, todays cars are light-years ahead of the old models. Constant point adjustments, spark plug changes, clutch adjustments, timing lights, dwell meters etc. were a pain in the butt. These new vehicles are maintenance-free compared to the old ones. Drum brakes were a pain to keep adjusted...if you had 75,000 miles on a car you had better start looking for a replacement. 200 horsepower in a 2bbl carb V/8 engine was very good, nowadays a run-of-the-mill V/6 does better than that with fuel injection, and much, much cleaner to boot. The average 3-5 year old car that I work on has 110-140,000 miles on it and is good as a 2 year-old 60',70's or early 80's vehicle used to be. New cars, PARTICULARLY domestically-produced Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles are world-class quality. I work daily in a muli-line import dealership, they have nothing over a domestic vehicle. Most vehicles that last 300,000 miles are one-owner vehicles that have owners who make the commitment to 1st class upkeep.... When a vehicle is traded in or sold to a second or third owner the economic level of the owner typically is lower than the original owner, and this is reflected in the amount of money that is available to be spent on the car. This has a direct affect on the life of the vehicle. My 2 cents, based on daily observation.....

m

Quick Reply: How many miles out of 3.8L Engine