Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to mount spare tire bike rack on JK?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to mount spare tire bike rack on JK?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyones running a spare tire mounted bike rack on there JK.

I have the one that I used on the TJ but on the JK I have the 17" shiny wheels that come stock on the rubicon. The problem is that the threads do not come out far enough to attach the bike rack onto the spare.

What have you guys done to be able to mount them? and how does the tailgate handle 1 or 2 bikes? I know the TJ didn't do so well and even after a couple trips the tailgate would be pulling out and sit at a slight angle.

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to go that route but was concerned about the additional weight on the tailgate (bikes plus spare tire). Decided instead to get a hitch mount but had a hard time finding one that cleared the spare tire. Found Xport makes a 2 and 4 bike hitch rack that holds multiple bikes extremely well and clears the spare tire (stock size). No, you can not open up the gate with the bikes on there, but I am still very satisfied with the rack.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

I was going to do that as well but the stock tire carrier can already barely handle a 35 inch tire.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's a bummer. I don't go biking that often that I would want to invest in hitch mounted carrier. Reason why I liked the spare mounted so if I wanted to carry the bike I would just toss it on and be on my way.

In this case I would have to mount and unmount the hitch mounted one anytime I wanted to carry a bike as I wouldn't want to be driving it around with it constantly attached.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use SportRack 2-Bike Hitch Rack Carrier
works like a charm, fold up nice/neat, hold 2 bikes perfectly, and fits nice behind my 35" spare.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask me tomorrow when I attempt to use my spare tire mount bike holder.. used it all the time on my TJ never had a problem, but I only ever had one bike on there at a time.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Mine hangs off my spare (a 35 btw) and I put my trek 6700 disc on the second hanger (rack holds 3 bikes) sometimes along with another bike. Had no problems so far
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Thule Spare-Me bike carrier I'm selling. Holds 2 bikes. The mount fits through the center cap and it also locks, so no one can steal your spare tire either.

Quick Reply: How to mount spare tire bike rack on JK?