Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How Much Money Should You Really Make to Own a Wrangler?

Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Money Should You Really Make to Own a Wrangler?

The Wrangler is an attainable car for many. But where should the line be drawn?

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>
Old 11-03-2016, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

In the case of my Jeep, a $1 Gazillion salary would have been a great place to start. This thing sucks money out of the pocket faster than a harem of wives at a BOGO sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
chez323 (08-05-2020), jedg (08-06-2020)
Old 11-03-2016, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a real question?

It's almost like asking how much should you really make to own any other car, house, etc. It's totally subjective.

I love my Jeep and can afford to make mods while still able to frequent gas stations on a regular basis.

How much should I make to own it? Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	660174
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

With a little saving and good long-term planning, you too can enjoy the open-top goodness of America’s favorite off-roader.
This, the last sentence in the article, is the real point of owning a Wrangler. If you're not budgeting first and foremost to use your Wrangler, you're doing it wrong. If you're working extra hours to pay for your Wrangler and its mods, so can't take time to use your Wrangler and mods, you're doing it wrong. I understand and appreciate that forums like this exist because sponsors sell stuff. But there are far too many posts of the "How should I spend money on mods" category, and far too few of the "Look at this great trip the family and I took in our Wrangler!" category. Get out there--we live on this fascinating planet, so quit making excuses (no money, no time) about why you can't get out there in the world's best vehicle for exploring it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Doiron:
Jamaar Mulholland (08-09-2020), jedg (08-06-2020)
Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I find a lot of people underestimate the cost of owning any vehicle, and wind up overextended. I think for some cars it's worse than others because they are sort of "image" type cars, and a Wrangler definitely qualifies. Actually, a Wrangler is kind of a supreme bargain in the cost:image ratio. Very, very few Wrangler buyers or owners will ever intend to drive one off road or use any of the capabilities they are paying for short of parking in a grass field during an event or driving through six-inch-deep puddles after a heavy rain.

What the article doesn't mention is to evaluate your needs for a vehicle and choose wisely if finances are at all limiting.

My personal anecdotal experience is that many of my peers consider a Wrangler to be somewhat of an expensive choice or a bit of a status symbol, and that's among decidedly upper-middle-class people, most of which are driving just as expensive of a vehicle. I get lots of comments like, "man, that's cool, I always wanted one but could never afford it". Now, I think that comment reflects the comparatively astronomical used prices of a Wrangler, but also has a value or utility factor. People who have household incomes hovering around the six-figure mark usually can't afford extra vehicles that don't get used unless that's their sole hobby, and they may need something that's much more suited to their normal use like commuting or carrying around their kids. Most ordinary adults don't want to make sacrifices in comfort, space, fuel mileage, reliability, convenience features, etc. just to drive a Wrangler when for the same or less money they can get a far better car in every measurable way that suits their needs. So a Wrangler is viewed as a toy or a luxury item that only those with plenty of spare money can afford to own. For these adults, their first not-useful spare vehicle is usually something way cheaper like a motorcycle, or way less useful like a jet ski or boat.

IMHO.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by SamanthaClarkson
Hi guys, I really want to become the owner of JK, but I don't have enough money to buy it yet. Moreover, I have difficulties with work.. I wanted to ask your advice, is it risky to take a loan secured by property in my situation?
It's no more risky they buying any other vehicle, new or used. Be prudent, don't over-extend your finances just because of "wants". The problem I could see with a jeep vs any other vehicle is most cars you buy and that is that. With a jeep, once you buy it you often want to then start buying crap for it.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:53 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

How much money do you need to make to raise kids, when you look at the cost on paper you would never have kids, but they are fun and you manage by watching your budget, probably one of those questions there isn't an answer to
The following users liked this post:
Jamaar Mulholland (08-09-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dat
but they are fun

Well, I'd say mostly fun. The teen years sure leave an open door for some wiggle room there.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Dat (07-30-2020), Mr.T (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SamanthaClarkson
Hi guys, I really want to become the owner of JK, but I don't have enough money to buy it yet. Moreover, I have difficulties with work.. I wanted to ask your advice, is it risky to take a loan secured by property in my situation?
Yep, it's risky. My general advice is don't take a loan out for anything but property. But in times of low interest rates with an item that doesn't depreciate much, and can be liquidated easily -- The risk may be manageable, and worth it.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:12 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Well, I'd say mostly fun. The teen years sure leave an open door for some wiggle room there.
We do more with the grandkids now, leave their parents at home, it's more fun that way.
Just got back from a camping trip in Arkansas with the 3 and 5 year old ones, they had a blast in the water that you can actually see the rocks on the bottom.

then dropped them off back home when we got back, that's a great thing about grandkids

Quick Reply: How Much Money Should You Really Make to Own a Wrangler?