Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which should I get?
Element half doors
25.00%
2.5 Teraflex HD BB w/ front springs
12.50%
3" Teraflex kit
50.00%
Other (comment below)
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

How should I spend my money?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I spend my money?

I'm in a bit of a quandry about what my next mod will be, and I figured you guys (and gals) would be more than happy to point me in the right direction.

My problem is, I want two items that are not totally out yet. Element Doors w/ uppers & Teraflex 2.5" full spring lift kit. I have considered other options such as soft doors and a 3" kit, but ultimately I keep coming back to the two items above. My problem - Element uppers are 1-3 months out and the 2.5" kit is 6-8 weeks out.

So... if I want to do some mods now, I probably need to find other creative methods of doing so. My options for now are:

1. Get the element doors and enclosures. ($1000 +/-). The downside to this is that since I can't get the windows, I probably won't be able to use them any more than what I currently do when I take the doors completely off on nice weather days. However, I would have the enclosures painted and ready to go on a 1500 mile road trip to a cousin's wedding this fall assuming that the tops are on time.

2. Get a 2.5" TF BB with front springs. I would also add discos at the same time with a goal of being able to order the rear springs when they come out. The plus is that I am a little more offroad ready, but the downside is that it will cost me more to order the springs after the fact.

3. Change to a 3" lift which will likely net me 4". My testosterone level likes this option, but I keep coming back to the fact that the jeep is my daily driver and I rack up at least 2000 miles per month. The dealership told me that with a 2.5" lift they won't give me much grief on the warranty side of things, but anything more than that they will scrutinize a little more. That, and if I get a 3" lift, I feel like I will have to drop the cash for an adjustable track bar right off the bat.

Of course, any lift I go with I am going to want discos and wheel spacers, so I could probably add those before the lift comes out. These options are not mutually exclusive, but these are the thoughts I have right now. Whichever one I choose, I may have to wait a few months to do the next phase.

Whattaya guys think? Should I go for half doors now and wait for the lift kit I want, 2.5BB that I will end up upgrading, 3" kit, or another combination?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much money are we talking about here?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Eventually I'll get all of it, but I have to do these things in phases. If I do the 3" lift kit, trac bars, and discos I'll probably spend around $1000. Pretty much the same if I get the elements and shells.

I figure I can afford to drop $1K every 3 months without biting into the budget too much. Honestly, I'm thinking about thinning out my guitar collection by one or two and just getting all of it.

Of course, true to guitar player code, just as I started thinking about thinning out the collection I got a 15% off coupon at Guitar Center in the mail yesterday...
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Default A little more info...

I'll add here that I have been pretty much sticking with Teraflex lifts just because of their fantastic involvement in the forum. I have to admit that I was a little intrigued by the black diamond 3" kit that includes an adjustable track bar, but I will probably stick with TF unless I get impatient on their 2.5 full spring. Then I might throw the doors open...
Old 06-01-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

What kind of guitars are we talking about?

I believe the guitar code states on page 2 paragraph 4 sub paragraph 3 - "any guitar sold will become the guitar you wish you never sold and miss playing the most"

I'd hold out for the Tereflex 2.5 with coils.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sully151
What kind of guitars are we talking about?

I believe the guitar code states on page 2 paragraph 4 sub paragraph 3 - "any guitar sold will become the guitar you wish you never sold and miss playing the most"
That's been my problem historically. I sold a Yairi Acoustic in college to buy a piccolo trumpet. (I was a trumpet major my first 3.5 years of college) Regretted it deeply, so sold a bass to get another Yairi...

Actually, I have a few I could easily let go at this point. I am primarily a bass player, and I recently switched from 6-string neckthroughs and other exotics back to Fender J-basses.

Of course, I will probably never get rid of the guitars I really like, which means that I'll probably only unload the korean tele or the Harmony Rocket. They look pretty cool on the wall, but play like crap! The good side to that is that if my wife see's my music closet getting emptier, she lets me spend more on Jeep toys!

Here's a picture of my "twins"... a Geddy Lee J-bass and a MIJ Fretless w/ rosewood neck. I also have a big brother 5-string J bass that matches.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TwinJsR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	9714  
Old 06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're askin OTHER people how to spend YOUR money? That's a real hoot. OK, I'll bite. Send it all to me.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Dangit...

I thought I had made up my mind and ordered the element doors because JCWhitney showed they would ship it three days and I had a good coupon. However, after I placed the order it showed they were factory direct shipping, so I'm thinking three days isn't very likely.

So... I may just leave my name on the list for the Elements and go back to ordering a lift now. I really should just get it all then then ask for forgiveness when my toys come in.

Quick Reply: How should I spend my money?