Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to stiffen my antenna? (sounds funny...but actual question)

Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stiffen my antenna? (sounds funny...but actual question)

Well, I want to mount a small 12" x 18" flag to my CB antenna on the back, which looks good. However, at highway speeds, this thing bends my antenna to near or at 90 degree angles and actually snapped a little bit of fiberglass in it. It currently still works, but anyone mount flags to their CB antennas and keep them mostly upright? Is there a stiffer antenna I can buy and put into my mount? Something I can do to prevent my antenna from bending in half in the wind?

Or is a flag on the antenna only for trail-speeds and not really feasible for on-road?

-Can see antenna somewhat on right side of vehicle....wish I had a better pic
Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen springs that mount between the antenna and the mount so the spring will take the flex more than the antenna. That would probably help with the stress on the antenna, but not with keeping it more upright at highway speeds.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

I cant see the antenna in the pic but if it is what I am thinking of....any added weight to the top will probably cause it to flop over. You may be able to put some weight toward the bottom or middle to even it out. Dont really know if that would make a difference.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is a little blue pill out there that rhymes with niagra, just put one in your tank at next fill up.

That aught to do the trick.

Quick Reply: How to stiffen my antenna? (sounds funny...but actual question)