Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How would you do it?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you do it?

Let me set the scene: I have a JK ul sahara 6spd 4wd softtop, DD. It is bone stock. I have a kargo cage rack for my kayaks, rugged ridge floormats, mirror relocators (doors off in the summer is a must), cb, smittybilt bags on the inside tailgate. Shovel, pullstrap, jack, board, etc. Nothing special.

I do not do extreme offroading but I drive on the beach every chance I get-fishing and kayaking or just hanging out (OBX). The jeep gives me zero problems there. This is not just about ability but using the jeep for what its worth.

Now, the question. If you were to setup and outfit the jeep for beach use, what would you do? No limits here, what would make the ultimate beach jeep (must be able to use as a DD as it is my only vehicle). Example: I will be adding an ARB compressor under the hood for airing up after I come off the beach and when the original tires need replacing I will go wider and probably change out the 18 inch wheels.) The sky is the limit (I wish that's how my budget was). Just curious, I'd like to make it capable but looks count here too..
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

...oh yea, I have a rod rack for the front as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

A day at the beach means plenty of sun, so how about the Mopar Sunbonnet (goofy name, but a better product than Bestop's equivalent) and Bestop Duster to provide privacy for your things in the rear? OR-Fab rock doors also look pretty cool--though maybe that cheesy gecko is a little bit out of place. LOL.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dunno... maybe one of these??
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Only one?

Originally Posted by Dex1
I dunno... maybe one of these??
Remeber, the sky is the limit...I was thinking 4

By the way-very nice jeep Mark
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ericzins
Remeber, the sky is the limit...I was thinking 4

By the way-very nice jeep Mark
Thanks, though I think it would look a lot nicer with a four-ship of Dex's recommendation. But then everyone would be asking, "What Jeep?"
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

I'd consider going with a warn powerplant in the place of the ARB. Not because I think one is better than the other, but because depending on the length of your Kayaks (and the resulting overhang towards the front of the Jeep) you may have to remove them to open the hood and get to the ARB. With the powerplant, you could air up/down regardless of what's on top of the Jeep. I would also get a pullpal or similar device for a winch anchor.

Edit: I just noticed you have an unlimited so I doubt you would have to take your boats off. If you tie a bow strap to your front bumper you would obviously have to remove the strap to open the hood...no big deal though.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mskh20
I'd consider going with a warn powerplant in the place of the ARB. Not because I think one is better than the other, but because depending on the length of your Kayaks (and the resulting overhang towards the front of the Jeep) you may have to remove them to open the hood and get to the ARB. With the powerplant, you could air up/down regardless of what's on top of the Jeep. I would also get a pullpal or similar device for a winch anchor.
Good call, hadn't thought of that. i'll have to look up the warn-
Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ericzins
Good call, hadn't thought of that. i'll have to look up the warn-
I really like mine--and I'm very popular at the trailhead after a run.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi

I'd also pick up an ARB fridge. Coolers have ice, ice makes things wet, wet things (sandwich bags, drinks, etc.) in the sand tend to get covered in sand. While you are at it, and since money is no object, I'd pick up a Benchmark dual battery setup so you don't have to worry about running the fridge all day with the Jeep off. I would also run a 12 volt outlet to the rear of the Jeep.

Since you already have a roof rack, I would get a nice awning that retracts up into a tube on the rack. It's always nice to carry your own shade to the beach.

Quick Reply: How would you do it?