Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is a Hybrid Wrangler Good Enough for You?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
XM1124...
Electric motors are even better than diesel for low-speed torque.
Weatherproofing electric systems isn't rocket science, either.
Heresy! Stop posting the truth! We don't want your facts!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by goaterguy
Heresy! Stop posting the truth! We don't want your facts!
I am sure there are tons of advantages to electric power for off-road vehicles, nobody is disputing that is a fact.

There are other technical hurdles besides just whether electric motors can produce torque and whether they can be weatherproofed. But the bigger problem for FCA is going to be the typical opposition Jeep owners and buyers have to new technology in general. Diesel is a much easier sale because it's not new.

The fact that electric vehicles in general in the USA have the lasting reputation as being slow and unreliable with uselessly small range and being driven only by extreme tree huggers is not helping. It will take a while for electric vehicles to overcome this reputation.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"The fact that electric vehicles in general in the USA have the lasting reputation as being slow and unreliable with uselessly small range and being driven only by extreme tree huggers is not helping. It will take a while for electric vehicles to overcome this reputation."

In the developed areas of the country, electrics and hybrids are being embraced by car enthusiasts of all kinds for their performance and practicality. Didn't know there were still areas in the union where technology has yet to permeate culture. Interesting.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricky-2012jku
Man diesel is not longer worth the extra cost. In the truck market. They are not lasting any longer than gas motors. And unless your a constantly towing you're not even saving money on gas. Head over to powerstrokehelp.com and just read and watch all the information. I will never buy another diesel until CAFE standards change.

" no longer worth the extra cost" " not lasting longer than gas motors"

Please tell me why their not lasting. Your wrong! I'm on a couple diesel forums my first love so I've seen plenty of complaints and motors with high mileage.
The people that are posting don't seem to have ever owned a diesel or their wouldn't be such a bias. I have never meet a diesel owner who said they hate all the power or the fact they can put mileage on the block. I've got 187 on mine and it throws 600 hp with stock injectors could you say that or want to boost a gasoline engine with that kinda mileage. New motors get a bad rap from there emissions stuff but they've gotten more fuel efficient then 2000's.
When we bought our tdi there's was a Jetta their about to hit 500,000 miles on a little four banger. Not to mention the thing is a fuel efficient as a pirius.
Lose the stereotypes! Stop repeating what you read. So many people are misinformed on diesel technology. Why do the run so many diesels in Europe? Is it because fuel is expensive and diesel is a more efficient fuel source?
For the record my egr and egr cooler are off my truck. They are restricting my fuel mileage easily jumped a couple miles per gallon. Anyone I know of that needs real work done or towing is gonna need a diesel. I live in the mountains and wouldn't trade it for any gasoline motor.

Our diesel prices are the same as regular unleaded here and never more than 10 cents higher than premium. They ecoboost doesn't touch a diesel truck. First off their a half ton truck.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

electric motors are great. Crazy low torque instantly all the way till it hits rpm limit and the motor its self is a fairly simple design the part that kills it is power storage capacity and ease / time to recharge. people dont want to be limited to 100 miles or so then have to wait 6 / 8 hours to recharge.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Electric motors are great. As stated not their on the battery storage yet. Let's not forget you have to mine the resources to make batteries. Not all green either. A diesel motor is most likely being used to source the material there not going anywhere.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

I don't believe diesels can compare to gas
1. Initial price a lot more
2. Fuel more
3. Maintenance more
4. I don't care how long the motor lasts the vehicle will not last as long.
5. Do you need anymore
Old 02-20-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well you can believe what you want buddy! Obviously never owned one or have real world knowledge.

Fact: diesel fuel has a higher energy density than fuel

Why are car makers coming out with more diesels than ever before? Are they all dumb?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lineman1
I don't believe diesels can compare to gas
1. Initial price a lot more
2. Fuel more
3. Maintenance more
4. I don't care how long the motor lasts the vehicle will not last as long.
5. Do you need anymore
1. depends. i dont see another 4 or 5 k for the diesel option as a lot more specially when they are alredy paying 30 40 50k for the vehicle.
2. not by a lot and in general they get better milage then a gas engine doing the same job further negating the price difference.
3. not really they are just not as forgiving when you fail to perform routine maintance like you should.
4. it depends i guess. some people dont buy a vehicle alredy planing to trade it in some people plan to keep them ten or more years.
5. yes please list more : )
Old 02-22-2016, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the middle ground in all of this is that the choices (hybrid / gas / diesel / electric) shouldn't be evaluated as "better than" but "according to needs and preferences". Each technology has its advantages and drawbacks. Return on investment / ROI is realized by the buyer for each type of vehicle, and it changes over time depending on things like energy prices and option costs. Resale value also has to be factored into the equation for lifetime ownership costs.

One of my biggest concerns about hybrid/electric stuff is that technology is still changing very quickly. Vehicles can now become technologically/functionally obsolete in just a few years (look at first gen Volt, all the first gen hybrid cars). In a laptop computer or mobile phone, I don't mind going through a new device every couple of years. But for a car? I'd hope that would be a 10-15 year purchase and that it would still have value after that.

Quick Reply: Is a Hybrid Wrangler Good Enough for You?