Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hydro-Locked Please Help!!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro-Locked Please Help!!

Okay heres the deal... i took my 09' Jk into a puddle the was about 25 inches deep and was going slow. i got about half way through and my jeep sputtered and died. i had it pulled out within 5 minutes so it didnt just sit there. i have an aftermarket banks cai and it took in alot of water. so i took it to my shop, pulled the plugs tried to shoot the water out and nothing happened, tried push starting it to crank the motor and get some water out. when we did that oil started pouring out between the engine and tranny it looks like. so we pulled the plug on the oil pan and about a gallon of water came out. so i believe all my oil/water is out. so i just wanted to see if my engine would even turn now with nothing in there, water or oil. i turned the key and it still sound like the starter is getting stopped. it just clicks. (brand new starter so i know thats not the problem) Please help i dont know what to do from this point.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkbaseball28
Okay heres the deal... i took my 09' Jk into a puddle the was about 25 inches deep and was going slow. i got about half way through and my jeep sputtered and died. i had it pulled out within 5 minutes so it didnt just sit there. i have an aftermarket banks cai and it took in alot of water. so i took it to my shop, pulled the plugs tried to shoot the water out and nothing happened, tried push starting it to crank the motor and get some water out. when we did that oil started pouring out between the engine and tranny it looks like. so we pulled the plug on the oil pan and about a gallon of water came out. so i believe all my oil/water is out. so i just wanted to see if my engine would even turn now with nothing in there, water or oil. i turned the key and it still sound like the starter is getting stopped. it just clicks. (brand new starter so i know thats not the problem) Please help i dont know what to do from this point.
spray some wd40 in the cylinders and let it soak, the rings are probably rusted to the cylinders. Other than that, rebuild, and ditch the CAI if you like to go in water.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ballsdeep
spray some wd40 in the cylinders and let it soak, the rings are probably rusted to the cylinders. Other than that, rebuild, and ditch the CAI if you like to go in water.
yeah that's what has kept me from ever buying a CAI, too easy to breathe in water
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkbaseball28
...oil started pouring out between the engine and tranny it looks like...

Time to get an engine from a company that swaps in Hemi's?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you in North Carolina by any chance? We just saw this happened to a Jeep over at the beach this weekend.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Former Member

25" and going slow........................man................... .....stay stock....What's CAI stand for?....Cover All Inlets????
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on MANY previous threads about this, I think you need a new engine. Sorry, it sucks. Cold Air Intakes (CAI) are only for mall crawlers that will never face a puddle.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

CAI and water don't ever get along, I'm sorry you learned the hard way. I don't even understand why people buy them for Jeeps...Your insurance company should cover a new engine though!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
CAI and water don't ever get along, I'm sorry you learned the hard way. I don't even understand why people buy them for Jeeps...Your insurance company should cover a new engine though!
I tell people to stay away from cai for this reason
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

I contacted my insurance company today.... praying they cover it !

Quick Reply: Hydro-Locked Please Help!!