Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

hydrolock? cai too cold for winter? and whats next for me...

Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drumnatural
That pre filter doesn't do much but repel water splashes that wouldn't harm the motor anyway. Once the pre filter is soaked it is useless. If water is to the height of the filter nothing will stop it from getting ingested into the engine.
That can also be said for any CAI, factory airbox or snorkel. If water finds it's way into the intake system (enough of it), it can very well hydro lock your engine. Having it above or higher than the factory airbox or the normal CAI in engine compartment will highly increase your chances of not hydro locking.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a problem with my CAI in the winters here. It can get down to -15 at some times. Engine gets LOUD though.

And as for hydrolock, I just be careful when hitting big puddles on the road. I don't wheel in water anyways. Most of my riding is in mud or trail riding.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I would also HIGHLY recommend relocating yourfront/rear diff breathers and transfer case breather if your a fan of mud and water.... Best $20 mod you can do IMO.... Also recommend running a snorkel or a custom snorkel/CAI and not worry to much...
great job on your costom snorkel! what kind of tubing did you use? I just cant wait to get my own place with my garage, it just sucks workin on my vehicul in the parking lot lol, then im going to be able to figure out where the front/rear diff breathers and transfer case breather is.. it looks like an easy mod though thanks for the advice!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I don't have a problem with my CAI in the winters here. It can get down to -15 at some times. Engine gets LOUD though.

And as for hydrolock, I just be careful when hitting big puddles on the road. I don't wheel in water anyways. Most of my riding is in mud or trail riding.
lol -15... im getting up to -50 over here... the engine must get freakin loud then lol
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by superjk10

great job on your costom snorkel! what kind of tubing did you use? I just cant wait to get my own place with my garage, it just sucks workin on my vehicul in the parking lot lol, then im going to be able to figure out where the front/rear diff breathers and transfer case breather is.. it looks like an easy mod though thanks for the advice!
Thanx... I used a 24" piece of aluminum pipe which is 3" in diameter and the red ones are 3" (diameter) silicone elbows... I did a write up called custom snorkel/CAI

As for the breathers, they are super easy and did a write up for that as well..,

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...her-relocation
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...om-Snorkel-CAI
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by tslewisz
What did you do with the intake PCV hose? I think I see it routed somewhere in front of the battery.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 AM
JK Junkie

I used a small filter on mine...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3361670130.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	165020  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

I had a CAI and SuperChips on my first JK.

I had throttle issues, ans I had to sell everything.

Also, I was not able to wheel in water because the water was going directly on the air filter.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Incognito
What did you do with the intake PCV hose? I think I see it routed somewhere in front of the battery.

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I used a small filter on mine...
Yep. Me, too.

Quick Reply: hydrolock? cai too cold for winter? and whats next for me...