Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hypermiling - does it work for you?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of my lights here average about that too, do you recommend not shutting off the engine? I have a lease, so I'm not too worried about maintenance...unless it's something that's not covered...

Anyway, I feel kinda weird every time I have to turn my car back on in the middle of the road --- I'll have to do a little test to see what kind of increase this actually gives me --- it may not even be worth it...

Originally Posted by thissideup
Around here most of our lights have a 45 second rotation so I won't be shutting down but I like the idea of slower starts and coasting it on stops. My last manual calculation was 17.5mpg. Better than my Taho!!! May be I should try goiing above 4th gear as well. I never use 5th and 6th unless I'm on the hyway.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've tried most of these methods and have found that the best thing I can do for my MPG is to use the best gas I can find. My local Citgo station is the only one I typically go to that does not have 10% ethanol. I get at least 3 mpg better using this fuel than any of the others.

Here is my mileage from the last 5 tanks of gas:

Citgo: 18.2 (mixed city/highway
Citgo: 20.3 (long highway trip)

Shell: 16.5 (mixed city/highway
Chevron: 16.8 (long highway trip)
Citgo: 19.3 (Mixed city/highway

I'm sticking with Citgo for now

Accellerate slowly, shift early, go easy, use momentum to your benefit, use cruise control when possible, and buy good quality gas.

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 07-16-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

How do you determine who has the best gas? I go to Valero, they're the cheapest all around (maybe in quality of gas too, I don't know)

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
I've tried most of these methods and have found that the best thing I can do for my MPG is to use the best gas I can find. My local Citgo station is the only one I typically go to that does not have 10% ethanol. I get at least 3 mpg better using this fuel than any of the others.

Accellerate slowly, shift early, go easy, use momentum to your benefit, use cruise control when possible, and buy good quality gas.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to clear something up about MPG in UK vs. USA.

American gallon is 3.78 litres
Imperial (UK) gallon is 4.54 litres

In Canada we use the Imperial gallon. I regularly get 26 MPG on the highway using the bigger gallon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon
Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why does x5tuu's speedometer go up to 120mph?

Mine only goes up to 100.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nevermind .... I think I figured it out. He's got the diesel over there in the UK. Is that it?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by achi10
How do you determine who has the best gas? I go to Valero, they're the cheapest all around (maybe in quality of gas too, I don't know)
Just from my calculated MPG and from noticing that Citgo is the only one I've noticed that does not have added ethanol. But this is only for my local area. The best gas in your area may not be Citgo.

But if you have the chance to buy gas with or without ethanol, it might be worth comparing.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Citgo = Venenzuela = Hugo Chavez.... i simply don't buy citgo

That said, I get 19.5 MPG and it doesn't matter where I get the gas. I drive between 40 and 45 mph and take routes that minimize the red lights. I try to drive behind another vehicle when possible so as to get some type of draft (but I do not tailgate).

I seriously think that there are certain speeds that take advantage of inertia. 40 - 45 mph and 60 - 65 mph seem to be good inertia speeds that minimize the need for a lead foot.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep329
Citgo = Venenzuela = Hugo Chavez.... i simply don't buy citgo
If I based my gas purchases on my approval of an oil company's political, business, or environmental track record, I wouldn't be able to buy gas at all.

So I'm just going to do my best to avoid ethanol-added gas since I've found it works best for me.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

ive been hypermiling since day one.

my strategy follows:

shift low and slow around 2k-2,500 k/ unless fighting wind
cruise in higer gears when possible
find where your rpms are low and speed is high
never hit the breaks; i often safely run stop signs to increase MPGs
coast in neutral whenever possible
reduce idle time
reduce weight.. ie doors, carpet, backseats, etc..

hope this helps.

im getting 20-24 around town with no top, no doors, 6spd, 3.21 stock 17s

J

Quick Reply: Hypermiling - does it work for you?