Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hypermiling - does it work for you?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypermiling - does it work for you?

As a Jeep owner, any help on the MPG count is always an added bonus.

Here's a few tips that will surely help increase gas mileage. A lot of this, of course is common sense.
  1. Coast whenever (and safely) possible
  2. Accelerate slowly
  3. Shift low, between 2000-2500RPM
  4. Proper tire inflation
  5. Reduce/eliminate downshifting
  6. 45MPH to 55MPH seems to be the optimal speed for fuel efficiency --- driving above 70MPH (give or take a few) seems to hurt your MPG.
  7. Take it to higher gears whenever possible, even on the streets. Don't be afraid of 5th or even 6th on your city driving!
  8. Eliminate drag whenever possible - having your windows open/top down is an iconic Jeep element, but hurts your MPG.
  9. Reduce idle times - some recommend turning off your engine at long red lights (how safe is this? anybody know?)

Any other techniques?

Thanks to jcrowell, bully17 and Spartan99 for additional input.

Last edited by achi10; 07-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

a pic as proof, but its actually about a constant 27-28 round town now

and that isnt photoshopped/chopped either, i have others showing the same on photobucket

anyhoo, back to topic:

I drive normally slightly over the speed limit
I never turn off the engine at lights
I never coast
I do use cruise control but not all the time
I dont accelerate gently. i have a heavy foot that i plant frequently lol!

I do have a automatic Sahara Unlimited with the Hard Top
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

you must have a diesel... b/c if my mpg was 31.5 in regular unleaded... i would sell my honda and drive my jeep everyday.

oh... and i coast frequently, shift to neutral on long down hills that end at stop signs or red lights, accelerate slower, and try to control my acceleration to prevent down shifting

Last edited by 07JKX; 07-16-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x5tuu
a pic as proof, but its actually about a constant 27-28 round town now

and that isnt photoshopped/chopped either, i have others showing the same on photobucket

anyhoo, back to topic:

I drive normally slightly over the speed limit
I never turn off the engine at lights
I never coast
I do use cruise control but not all the time
I dont accelerate gently. i have a heavy foot that i plant frequently lol!

I do have a automatic Sahara Unlimited with the Hard Top

if I had a big flag on it that said B.S. I would raise it, you must have reset that while coasting...... Even if it was a diesel, I call BS.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

honesty FFS - i knew this would happen, i dont even think you can reset the AVG on a euro JK

it is a diesel, i always forget to add that, as my UK dealer wont sell the 3.8V6 petrol unit

and its an auto, the only realy way to coast would be to put in N while moving which screws the auto box - not likely i would do that
Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
if I had a big flag on it that said B.S. I would raise it, you must have reset that while coasting...... Even if it was a diesel, I call BS.
X1000

If you are getting over 30 mpg, you have the only jeep on the planet that is getting that.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

just been out to see what that reads right this minute and its 27.6, as i was stuck in some hideous traffic earlier, it is my daily driver

had a look in my handbook and there is nothing about reseting it

and even in US gall thats still like 24-26 on my better mpg's
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hypermiling sounds dangerous. I know alot of engine wear comes from just the cranking up of the engine. I would gather that the more I have to crank my Jeep the more wear I would encounter. Thats just one point, I can go on for a while about how "safe"/ "smart" this new fad is. Cutting my Jeep off, coasting around everywhere and taking the car out of drive going barreling down a hill does not sound like jolly good tymes, but thats Just me. Good Luck. JOE>
Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Around here most of our lights have a 45 second rotation so I won't be shutting down but I like the idea of slower starts and coasting it on stops. My last manual calculation was 17.5mpg. Better than my Taho!!! May be I should try goiing above 4th gear as well. I never use 5th and 6th unless I'm on the hyway.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by x5tuu
honesty FFS - i knew this would happen, i dont even think you can reset the AVG on a euro JK

it is a diesel, i always forget to add that, as my UK dealer wont sell the 3.8V6 petrol unit

and its an auto, the only realy way to coast would be to put in N while moving which screws the auto box - not likely i would do that
i havent heard that shifting into neutral while moving would hurt anything on newer production vehicles. If this were true, one would think that you would be locked out (cant simply push forward) of Neutral until completely stopped (like your are reverse).

I shift into neutral on many occassions when heading down an off ramp or down a hill to a stop sign. Have done so in many vehicles, including my honda and mercedes. 200K+ on the benz and just under 100k on the honda. No issues.

Where did you get your intel on the nuetral thing?

Quick Reply: Hypermiling - does it work for you?