Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hypermiling - does it work for you?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running stop signs "safely" is not something I would recommend. As a Police Officer for 9 years, I do not recommend that. I hate writing traffic tickets, but unfortunately the brass above my rank demand a ticket a day to keep the as***** away and a stop sign is an easy one.

The cost of a ticket and insurance increase, plus the added safety in simply stopping will cost less in the long run.

You can't cheat forever and not get caught.

It may be safe it your eyes, but it's illegal and a very easy ticket for those of us that have a performance evaluation every year.

Politics suck. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had always been under the impression that "coasting" in N damages the auto box and causes un-necessary wear to the transmission

I got this from my ex bro in law, a mechanic for Ford, Vauxhall and now works for Cosworth I believe - So I may be wrong

I do have a diesel, and I didnt realise the speedo's were diff tbh, i was ready to join the 100 club but my camera wasnt to hand lol!

btw, what octaneis the Petrol in the US?? we mostly have 98octane here now rather than 95, and i tend to use the Diesel Optimax/Ultimate, again higher refined and is supposed to provide better power, less burn and more mpg
Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi

I drive the speed limit, accelerate smoothly and not too hard, coast down to lights (in drive) instead of drive toward them and jam the brakes and get a consistent 20-21mpg (with top on). I've read about some of the more extreme hypermiling techniques and I think they are risky IMO.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:21 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by x5tuu

btw, what octaneis the Petrol in the US?? we mostly have 98octane here now rather than 95, and i tend to use the Diesel Optimax/Ultimate, again higher refined and is supposed to provide better power, less burn and more mpg

87 is the standard, recommended octane for the JK in the USA. Many stations have three grades: 87,89, 91-93. Occasionally you'll see 94 somewhere. In some higher elevations they sell 85.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started doing the hypermiling thing about a year ago when I first heard about it. I consistantly get 18 - 20 (avg around 19.6) mpg city and 22 - 25 (avg around 24)hwy. I have a 6spd and I try to shift at 25 - 27k rpms. I've found on the hwy that right around 65 mph in sixth I get 26 mpg. The problem is, in Detroit 65 mph on the freeway will get you killed.

I have 56K miles on my JK and this hasn't changed in over a year. I've read all the threads on here and the one about buying gas at different stations seems odd. I think that guy either owns a Citgo station or he has Citgo stock. I mean the whole reason behind this is the save money so I typically go to the cheapest I can find in my area.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO IN TERMS OF MILEAGE IS PROPER TIRE INFLATION!! Nobody even mentioned that. I add a few extra lbs and again at 56K miles I don't have any crazy tire wear.

I NEVER EVER downshift. I coast a lot, I mean a lot. Not down huge hills out of control, but its nothing to push the clutch in going down a slope and it add's HUGE numbers to your mileage especially on the hwy. I'm not talking a few hundred yards, I'm talking 1/4 mile plus... basically anywhere you can do it and not lose or gain too much speed. And I never downshift coming to stops.

For all you automatic guys... I've worked in the automotive industry my entire career and putting a trans in nuetral will never ever hurt it... it actually helps to cool it. You should never sit with your engine running and the trans in gear.

Summary:

Proper Tire Inflation
Coast whenever safely possible
No downshifting
Shift at low RPM's

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hypermiling your JK:

Anyone here hypermiling their JK? I've been getting up to 22.5 mpg in mine by hypermiling, but mostly I'm getting 19.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Absolutely not - "hypermiling," if you're doing it right, is extremely illegal and dangerous to yourself and others.

You'd have to save a helluva lot of gas to justify the pricetag that'll come from fixing body damage when that semi you're tailgating (er, "drafting") stops short and you rear-end it...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Please define "Hypermiling" As I believe I do a variation of it without the drafting.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Drafting is only one of many hypermiling techniques and there's no way in heck I'd do it. So dangerous!

I'm talking about coasting in neutral whenever possible, driving the speed limit, slow accelerations, shutting off the engine at red lights, etc.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Bully17 is right about an auto being in neutral with the engine running. It's okay to do this because the tranny is still being lubed. Auto tranny's never really disengage. They are always being turned by the engine due to the torque converter. Sticks are great because you can coast in neutral even with the engine off as the tranny's disengaged completely.

My question for you Bully17 is regarding coasting in neutral, with the engine off, in an auto tranny. I've had several people tell me that this is terrible for your engine. But, I've had several people tell me that it's okay. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it's bad.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling - does it work for you?