Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I hate online tire dealers!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I hate online tire dealers!

Ok, this is a semi-rant here but I have to say I hate online tire dealers. I hate Discount Tire Direct, I hate Tire Rack, I hate all of them. And for one very simple reason - Thier interface.

You can't just look for a tire you want by size. You have to pick your Year Make and Model. And god help you if you've <gasp> changed your wheels or lifted your vehicle.

Look, I know my JK can only "officially" use 285 series tires. That doesn't mean I don't have a 2.5" lift and new wheels that will let met run 35x12.5R17. So because of that I can't ever get it to give me a price on the tires without going through some complicated search engine.

<sigh>

This drive anyone else nuts?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I was the only one cursing & punching walls over this
Frustrating as hell that they SELL the tire you want, but won't let you look at it.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

on tirerack you can search by size. click on the tire link and then search by size. you enter the size and it pulls up every tire in that size they carry. i have bought from them twice and never any problems.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a tough time with the conversion myself. It was easier years ago to order say 35x12x15 now you have to be a mathemetician or worse yet, SMART.

Too many sizes/choices it's too confusing. Thought it was just me
Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
....you serious?

Try looking? Took all of about a minute between the two pages for me to find it "by size"...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...&ar=1250&rd=17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=1&RunFlat=All

If you know the tire size you're looking for, it's there...Go to BFG, Nitto, etc's website and look at the specs for the given size.
I eventually figured it out, yes. And yes, I was serious. If you select your vehicle make and model you basically have to close the window all together to get it to "forget" your vehicles stock specifications.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you really posting this? Are you tellin me you cannot look up tires by size on Discount Tire Direct? That's total bullshit. You can on Tire Rack, too. ....and I thought I was a retard. Just don't select a vehicle. Look it up strictly by size.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skippman
I eventually figured it out, yes. And yes, I was serious. If you select your vehicle make and model you basically have to close the window all together to get it to "forget" your vehicles stock specifications.
They save themselves from trouble on that one. If it pulled up 44" boggers on my vehicle search, you know there are idiots who are going to order it and say, " you said it would fit!!!".

My god, I didn't even have to try to do a search by tire size for either site. What are you talking about? Slow down, you sound excited about tires.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUSTIN01
They save themselves from trouble on that one. If it pulled up 44" boggers on my vehicle search, you know there are idiots who are going to order it and say, " you said it would fit!!!".

My god, I didn't even have to try to do a search by tire size for either site. What are you talking about? Slow down, you sound excited about tires.
I worked Mail Order for years selling ATV tires and what a nightmare. People really liked to push the limits and not listed to suggestions. We'd sell them and advise against occasionally but if the customer wanted them, "the customer is always right".

I'm just saying that the conversion is too complicated and there are too many choices.

I have a tire fetish myself
Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kane516
I'm just saying that the conversion is too complicated and there are too many choices.
Metric to standard conversions are one thing, but then google is your friend.

I just didn't have a hard time on either listed site finding tires by the size. I mean, I freaking found it on the home page. It doesn't get much easier than that.

EDIT: Ok well, in your defense, 4 wheel parts changed up their site a bit and now I have to search for wheels based off of lug pattern, size, color, etc.....but again, this makes it stupid proof.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Are you really posting this? Are you tellin me you cannot look up tires by size on Discount Tire Direct? That's total bullshit. You can on Tire Rack, too. ....and I thought I was a retard. Just don't select a vehicle. Look it up strictly by size.
I did the same thing. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: I hate online tire dealers!