Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I was just trolling a Hummer forum...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He needs to learn the difference between admiring and laughing politely.

Originally Posted by MAROONJEEP
The first post says it all in my eyes.

So, I own a H2. Why is it that I see so much hatred from Wrangler owners? Yet they always seem to be adminring the H2 when we pass. Theres a guy on my way home that has a bumper sticker that says "If I wanted a Hummer I'd call your sister" And his plate says H2 SUX. Why all the hate? This is my first H2 and I will someday hopefully take it off roading, any one know of a local off raoding club in the Northern Virginia area?

And, how does the jeeps compare to Hummers as in off roading capabilities?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ruggedh2
The H2 was built to be a luxury vehicle that can wheel. They were not trying to copy the H1. The reason an H2 was originally built at the time was because the H1 was not a comfortable vehicle to drive everyday. Don't get me wrong.....I love Humvees and H1's as well as Rubicons. However the H2 was built to offer luxury buyers the off road capability. It's prime competitor is the Range Rover. It is less luxurious than the Range Rover, but more capable off road. It is targeted at a specific market segment.

The H3 was built with those ideas in mind (off road and luxury), but at a price more people can afford. The Jeep Grand Cherokee class.

Straight from the factory, the gearing, angles, clearance and options on the H3 are superior to the Grand Cherokee for off road. On road, the Grand Cherokee is probably the superior vehicle. Jeep also has a far superior aftermarket available for upgraded components to build capability into the vehicles.
I think you're spot on in the actual comparison of the vehicles. I don't think the H2 and H3 were intended to go directly against the Wrangler. Now, with the Unlimiteds out, they seem closer, but I still agree that the H3 would be a better match against the Grand Cherokee.

I realize that NONE of the comments I've posted below have anything to do with what you've said ruggedh2, so just know that what I'm saying is not aimed in your direction. What I take issue with is....

#1. Calling any Hummer an American Icon in comparison to a Jeep. There is no person on this earth that has a valid argument for that. Say what you want about the HMMWV being used by the military. Jeep still beat them to it.

#2. Saying that a Rubi is the only off road capable vehicle. I would love to see a base model, bone stock X go against a similarly equipped H2 or H3. I won't be arrogant enough to say which I think would win, but I do think both sides would be surprised by the capability of the other vehicle.

#3. Why call it a Hummer if it doesn't share a damn thing in common with the original? As Chevym14 pointed out, our JKs still have the blood of the original military vehicles in their veins. I can sit down and list more things in common between the M38A1 and the JK than can be found between the HMMWV and the H2. Jeep has gone through 4 incarnations since the CJ-5. The H2 is one model away. It has nothing to do with the capability of the vehicle, and I have no doubt that sharing names was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

I don't despise Hummers the way a lot of people do. I do, however, love my Jeep and truly believe that it is the better vehicle for me. And that's what I really care about.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

[
Rubidon.... Come-on man, this guys been cool. No need for name calling.[/QUOTE]

Mmmmmurrrrrr........Alright....................... Sorry.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate you guys attitude. I like being able to discuss wheeling with people that drive different rigs. I'm on many Hummer forums....but in a lot of ways, it's all preaching to the choir.

I do respect Jeeps. If I was going to go for a strictly off road rig it would be a four link, coil over TJ, or a buggy. JK's are still too expensive for me to make a dedicated trail rig out of.

The Hummers are capable enough for 4+ trails in Moab like Golden Spike and Moab Rim, which are both respectable trails, but I have yet to see any footage of an H2 on Pritchett Canyon. I would like to be the first.....but I have a few bucks tied up in this rig and with the exception of an H1 I don't know who else could drag that heavy sucker out if it had a serious break.

I have no illusions about running the H2 on Helldorado....that badboy requires more flex than the H2 will ever have.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ruggedh2
Yep.....you're right.
The advantages the Jeep has over the Hummer are, size, weight, articulation. They are unlimited in what they can do.
In your list of advantages Jeeps have over Hummers you forgot to mention that Jeep owners are also smarter, better skilled, better looking then Hummer owners. This gives them a much greater advantage to Hummer owners when its time to hit the trail or the beach.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by utahgoose
I have no doubt that sharing names was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

I don't despise Hummers the way a lot of people do. I do, however, love my Jeep and truly believe that it is the better vehicle for me. And that's what I really care about.
Goose, I agree for the most part.

One thing is, AM General actually builds the H2.....in the same facility as the Humvee.

I also agree about choice. I'm very happy with mine also. The H2 gets bad gas mileage but I don't bitch about that, I knew before I bought it. It does what I want it to do, it is very comfortable on the road and the trail. I have three kids and a wife that go with me, and one of them is in a car seat, I have to drive a full size rig.

I wheel it much more than the owners of many other brands of 4x4 that I work with and know. The only other guy I personally know that wheels as much as I do, owns a JK, and we have wheeled together several times.

OK Brodmans it was written something like that.

Last edited by ruggedh2; 03-15-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

please do not troll other forums, the moderators jobs are hard enough without dealing with trolls.

If they did that hear, we would be pissed off, and they would be banned.