Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I need help deciding on a New Jeep?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help deciding on a New Jeep?

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I have a millions questions about the new jeep. Here my story. I wanted a TJ for my 1st car but my parents were convined the thing flips over so they got me a 2000 cherokee instead. I didnt think I would like it but I fell in love with the cherokee. It has some minor proublems and I will be getting a new car prolly towards June. I started looking at TJ's again and relized there to freaken small. I still wanted a wrangler with the amount of room of my cherokee and jeep solved the issue with the 4 door. Alright now hear comes the question. Is the 4 door better then the cherokee? Is the new motor better then the 4.0? Will it be as reliable and get as many miles at the older cherokee and TJ. How does it handle? I know the cherokee stops on a dime doing 50. Will the new wrangler stop as good? If anyone has had either truck. Can you guys tell me if the 4 door wrangler is worth getting of should I hunt down a a really well taken car of cherokee?

Thank for your time
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

If you have the ability, I would buy the Wrangler over Cherokee any day of the week. The durability of the new motor has yet to be seen, but so far, I don't fear it. Now, it you go from the hard top of a Cherokee to a soft top Wrangler, you may not be pleased. I would suggest the hard and soft top combo. This will open up a plethora of combinations that your Cherokee never had.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kasirkin29
Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I have a millions questions about the new jeep. Here my story. I wanted a TJ for my 1st car but my parents were convined the thing flips over so they got me a 2000 cherokee instead. I didnt think I would like it but I fell in love with the cherokee. It has some minor proublems and I will be getting a new car prolly towards June. I started looking at TJ's again and relized there to freaken small. I still wanted a wrangler with the amount of room of my cherokee and jeep solved the issue with the 4 door. Alright now hear comes the question. Is the 4 door better then the cherokee? Is the new motor better then the 4.0? Will it be as reliable and get as many miles at the older cherokee and TJ. How does it handle? I know the cherokee stops on a dime doing 50. Will the new wrangler stop as good? If anyone has had either truck. Can you guys tell me if the 4 door wrangler is worth getting of should I hunt down a a really well taken car of cherokee?

Thank for your time
I would say it depends upon what you want to do with it. If I was a young guy, saying that hurts me by the way, and I did things over again I would get a beater. Why? Because I would rather learn wheeling skills (rock crawling) in something that I don't mind tearing up during the learning process. My JK has some rash, and I don't mind it too much, but if I rolled it or crushed the body on something while I am still learning rockcrawling 101, I would not be a happy camper. I have a buddy who wheels an old beater cherokee, check my album, and he does things I can't because of skill and his willingness to use a hammer to knock out dents. I don't think we will know if the 3.8 motor in the JK is as reliable as the 4.0 for another 10-15 years. They are very reliable in the minivan from what I hear, but I doubt they have been used under the stress of wheeling. I don't know why you want to "stop on a dime at 50", but yes the JK breaks with ABS work just fine for my use. Good luck on your choice!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I to am shopping around, but I've had soft tops and love them. Go with the dual top option that way you can figure out what you like best.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Dual top option may not be a bad way to go. A bikini/duster combo may not be a bad substitute for the soft top option and will store more easily. Either way, if you're on the east coast, get a hard top.

Unless you're really against it, go with the 6speed. So far I've found it to be a great choice and it won't leave you as underpowered as you might think. These guys are right on the money given that the engine is new and unproven in the JK but if you have a lifetime powertrain warranty (which we don't in Canada!) that's a bonus, unless you get happy on the mods.

I was looking at a Cherokee after I wrecked my GMC Jimmy and went with the JK. I haven't been disappointed. Cheers.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Yea Im 18 and I live on the east coast. Im not an off roader yet. I mostly drive on pavement. I will prolly choose a hard top. So I'm not worried about rolling over on rocks. My issue was room. I usually always have 3 other people with me. I even looked at the 2 door JK. But that is still kinda on the small side. The issue with the 4 door is that. IDK is a real wrangler. I mean it has always been a 2 door truck. That was kinda my issue with choosing to. Thanks for the feeback tho.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Consider the '06 TJ Unlimited. It's cheaper than a new JK and it drives much better than the short wheelbase TJ's
Old 11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Buy a new JK with the lifetime powertrain warranty and then you won't have to worry about the motor. JK is a blast and you get the fun of top down with the stability of long and wide.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm just 19 and this is my second vehicle (drove a dodge dakota pick up previously) I have always wanted a wrangler as well, I traded my pick up in for the used rubi last summer and have not looked back. I have the 2door and find the space perfect for me (young guy, no family etc) it fits friends fine (i've had 8 people in it before slightly squished) but coming from the pick up its a huge imporvement on space. I've been in a 4door a few times and find them very spacious and have more than enough room inside, if your worried about room then there is no shortage there.

the motors are old minivan ones which have been known to go for a lonnnggggg time, so hopefully its the same on the JK. The ride and drive is great, i got the 6spd which i find really fun and driving it always puts a smile on my face (which is what counts)

I just started getting into the offroading thing and have already done a bunch of mods and i am completely addicted now...if you have the means go for it 2dr or 4 door your wont be making a mistake!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. I still looking around. Im hoping in June the 07's will drop. With any luck Ill get a few grand for my truck. I went a jeep dealer. If I decide to go for it I will get a 4 door Sahara in burgundy with Beige interior in Auto cuz I caint drive stick.

Last edited by kasirkin29; 11-04-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: I need help deciding on a New Jeep?