Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I think painting my wheels black made my Jeep stick out more to local law enforcement

Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think painting my wheels black made my Jeep stick out more to local law enforcement

I am 20 years old, and up until 2 weeks ago, had only ever been stopped by the police once, when I was 16. Since I painted my wheels black, I have been stopped 3 times, and today was followed by a trooper for 10 miles in an attempt to find a reason to stop me.

The three times I was stopped, I recieved a quick "warning" and was on my way within 1 minute. (I work for the local police department, which has stopped me 2 out of the 3 times). Today, I had to obey some pretty stupid speed limits (45 on a section of highway in the city), and it probably would have been quicker to get stopped and have been on my way.

Has anyone else noticed more LE attention with modified Jeeps?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazynova
I am 20 years old, and up until 2 weeks ago, had only ever been stopped by the police once, when I was 16. Since I painted my wheels black, I have been stopped 3 times, and today was followed by a trooper for 10 miles in an attempt to find a reason to stop me.

The three times I was stopped, I recieved a quick "warning" and was on my way within 1 minute. (I work for the local police department, which has stopped me 2 out of the 3 times). Today, I had to obey some pretty stupid speed limits (45 on a section of highway in the city), and it probably would have been quicker to get stopped and have been on my way.

Has anyone else noticed more LE attention with modified Jeeps?
That's profiling!

I used to have a 79 Bronco with 38s and used to get harassed (while working and not even being in it) by one local cop at least 2-3 times a week? I finally got rid of it but I really miss it.

I was around 20 and worked at a gas station for a part time job. They never bothered me on the road (but I was a young father and worked 2 jobs too).
Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cops will always look for a young guy in a modified car and pull him up, thats the way it goes, the black wheels just make your car different and hense a reason to pull you up.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM
JK Newbie

I personally certainly wouldn't pull you over for having black wheels. Now, if you have mods that violate the inspection code, then I'll stop you for it.

For what reasons are you getting pulled over? (or what reason are you being told) You almost certainly have to be doing something wrong. There is a such thing as probable cause. I know I don't pull somebody over for obeying the law. That's a waste of time and shoots your credibility down the crapper. Very curious to see where this goes and hope it doesn't turn in to a cop bashing thread.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctaggart
I personally certainly wouldn't pull you over for having black wheels. Now, if you have mods that violate the inspection code, then I'll stop you for it.

For what reasons are you getting pulled over? (or what reason are you being told) You almost certainly have to be doing something wrong. There is a such thing as probable cause. I know I don't pull somebody over for obeying the law. That's a waste of time and shoots your credibility down the crapper. Very curious to see where this goes and hope it doesn't turn in to a cop bashing thread.

I know what probable cause is - I work in law enforcement. The first was very valid, I was doing 47 in a 25 and missed the speed trap. I wrote that off as me letting my guard down and getting caught speeding. The second was at 1am, I "california stopped" a stop sign because there was no other traffic around. The third I was doing 70 in a 65 at 1am coming home from the station. Today I didn't do anything, but the trooper was trying his hardest to find PC and apparantly couldn't.

I also don't want it to be a bashing thread. Profiling is part of the job to a degree, and vehicles that look different than the rest generally stick out a little more. I'm not at all upset, since there has been valid PC for each stop, just think its a bit more than a coincidence.

Last edited by crazynova; 06-21-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 AM
JK Newbie

Bad things come in 3's. Maybe you'll be done with it. BTW...I like the "probably cause" joke.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
cops will always look for a young guy in a modified car and pull him up, thats the way it goes, the black wheels just make your car different and hense a reason to pull you up.

Really? During my 10 years (so far) in law enforcement, a young guy in a modified car has never been a reason for me to stop anyone (or look for a reason to). That is unless the modification was to transport a few hundred pounds of dope.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd stop you for 47 in a 25. Rolling a stop sign at 1am would get stopped too, great way to find drunks. 70 in a 65, well, at 1 am I would be itching for a drunk to take someone for 5 over.
I have followed modified Jeeps around for several minutes. I do it to see what modifications they have and to check out their ride . Not so much for a stop.
With the Jeep Jamboree going on near here I hope to see more today . If they have a JK sticker they are going to be real nervous .
Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like the mods are doing exactly what they are meant to do - stand out and get noticed!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually all of those were valid reasons for you to get pulled over other than the last one. Five miles an hour over the speed limit is a little ridiculous but the cop was still in the right. Ive been pulled over for 5 miles an hour over late at night in a small town. I know the cop was probably bored as hell and looking for anything. Irritated the hell outta me but he was still right. Im not taking sides on this, just trying to put some reasoning to all of it.

Last edited by Mike De; 06-21-2009 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: I think painting my wheels black made my Jeep stick out more to local law enforcement