JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   I think painting my wheels black made my Jeep stick out more to local law enforcement (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/i-think-painting-my-wheels-black-made-my-jeep-stick-out-more-local-law-enforcement-90949/)

09rubicon 06-21-2009 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by crazynova (Post 1193428)
I know what probably cause is - I work in law enforcement. The first was very valid, I was doing 47 in a 25 and missed the speed trap. I wrote that off as me letting my guard down and getting caught speeding. The second was at 1am, I "california stopped" a stop sign because there was no other traffic around. The third I was doing 70 in a 65 at 1am coming home from the station. Today I didn't do anything, but the trooper was trying his hardest to find PC and apparantly couldn't.

I also don't want it to be a bashing thread. Profiling is part of the job to a degree, and vehicles that look different than the rest generally stick out a little more. I'm not at all upset, since there has been valid PC for each stop, just think its a bit more than a coincidence.

I do hope you get things figured out with the department, especially if you work with them. But have you considered that if you dont speed, come to a complete stop, and generaly obey the laws weather you like them or not (we get it, you dont) that you usually don't get pulled over.

Now I am not trying to bash you, not in any way so please don't take it that way. I am just trying to point out the obviouse, you have been pulled over 2 or 3 times and admit you still have a hard time following the traffic laws.....no wonder they are following you.

Orangutan 06-21-2009 07:29 AM

Painted wheels ?

Black wheels at 1:00 AM doesn't really stand out. Radar (selective enforcement), from 1/10th a mile away as you approach (47MPH in a 25MPH) seems to make more sense. Your lack of a "BMW" attitude, Im sure went a long way with the Trooper. Don't be discouraged, as you know (dispatcher I assume), the next speeding violator at that time could possibly be O.U.I.-L, and removing that threat from the roadway is always the goal. Be safe.

crazynova 06-21-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 09rubicon (Post 1193522)
I do hope you get things figured out with the department, especially if you work with them. But have you considered that if you dont speed, come to a complete stop, and generaly obey the laws weather you like them or not (we get it, you dont) that you usually don't get pulled over.

Now I am not trying to bash you, not in any way so please don't take it that way. I am just trying to point out the obviouse, you have been pulled over 2 or 3 times and admit you still have a hard time following the traffic laws.....no wonder they are following you.

I don't know where everyone is getting that I think they were BS reason for stops. I have said they were all valid reasons, and am not mad at any of the officers. I know what thier job is, and they do it well around here. Each time I was stopped, I knew exactly why I was stopped and apologized for it. I generally follow the rules of the road since these stops, so they do work.

mjcrna 06-21-2009 12:49 PM

you been profiled! Welcome to the club!! lol I get redneck profiling all the time, I've got a Masters degree from Harvard of the south. I think we need to have a Jeephad!

crazynova 06-21-2009 03:08 PM

The thing that really caused me to make this thread was the NHP trooper who followed me closely for 10 miles on my way home from work obviously trying to find a reason to stop me, not the tickets. I also don't care about profiling, since it is part of the job, although I am a clean cut, military looking guy.

TINMAN080 06-22-2009 12:27 AM

Back when I was 20 ( Lincoln was President :rotflmao2: ) the cops would stop you and write you for breathing.:rotflmao2: Extended shackles, wheel spacers, window tint, your girl squeezed up too tight to you, hell anything. Nowadays there are so many cars they can't focus on anyone too long. Sounds like you have a couple of guys that have become aware of you at work and have decided to harrass you. Toe the line, they will tire of you and move on to another victim.....

Littlejon 06-22-2009 05:27 AM

Maybe he was ust trying to admire your Jeep. :dontknow2:

Doc_D 06-22-2009 09:03 AM

I'm in my 30s and I had this problem. I got pulled over 17 times in a single month! I was never given a ticket. I once got pulled over 3 times in a single hour. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on. Each time they'd give me some B.S. about my Jeep looking like one that had committed a crime, etc.

Well finally after a month of this I was cleaning out my Jeep and found that my friends had hidden 2 dozen donuts in the secret compartment in the back! :rotflmao2:

For the officers in this thread, sorry I couldn't resist. For the record my father, my girlfriends father and my best friend are police officers. Plus we all know you love you some donuts! :yup:

P.S. Seriously.... make sure there are no donuts in your jeep :rotflmao2:

Orangutan 06-22-2009 12:48 PM

I can laugh at that,

Because I don't look like Chief Wiggum. :yup:

highergr0und 06-23-2009 09:37 AM

Maybe the cop following for 10 miles was just going the same route as you albeit to a different destination? It happens from time to time. Pretty much no officer will follow someone they want to pull over for 10 miles without doing it.