Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I want my Jeep back...

Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I want my Jeep back...

I got into an accident in which I was not at fault on 07/31 and since then my Jeep has been at the shop getting fixed. It was actually at the tow yard for about a week until Allstate accepted thier liability and got it to the body shop. Anyways, I guess they did thier initial inspection and ordered up everything they thought they needed to fix it. A couple items took about 2 weeks to get in (passenger airbag and sensor), but I was under the impression they were only waiting on those two things.

Anyhow, a week passes by and I hear from the lady who says that the parts are all in and they were going to start fixing me Jeep. That was last week and I wasn't happy that they had just now started fixing it, but it wasn't a huge deal. At least I have a free rental until I get the Jeep back.

She told me at that point that I should have it back late this week early next week. I got a call today and she started with "All of the body work is done, and it is at the mechanic getting the suspension fixed." I was sleeping when I got the call, so I was thrilled with that. After A brief pause, I heard the dreaded word - but. I guess they realized today that the brackets on the axle for the control arms don't just magically bend back to normal and they now need to replace the entire front axle housing.

When I asked how long it would take she said I'll have it back hopefully the week after the holiday, which is still 2 weeks away I think. Anyways, I'm not too happy about it all, but I suppose it's alright that it's getting fixed right. I wish they had totalled it though - I would have had a new one by now.

Anyways, that's my rant for the night.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

damb sorry to hear that. hopfully the fix it rite though.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joes-jk
damb sorry to hear that. hopfully the fix it rite though.
They better. Since they have made me wait what I see as longer than necessary, if it it not 100% perfect, I WILL make them fix whatever is wrong.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

so its not goin to cost anything out of ur pocket cause it was the others fault right???
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joes-jk
so its not goin to cost anything out of ur pocket cause it was the others fault right???
Right. She pulled out in front of me from a private drive when I had right of way. I hit my front passenger corner to her from drivers corner. My Jeep had $7k in damages from what they told me, though I bet with the axle housing having to be replaced that has gone up to probably $8k or more now. I think thier car was totalled out.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Sorry to hear about the delays. Mine was in the body shop after a hail storm dented the hood pretty badly. That afternoon I went by the shop and they still hadn't moved my Jeep. I went inside to ask why they hadn't even started the couple hours work that was needed (all paintless repair). The rep said they'd get to it probably in three or four days. I told them I'd bring it back in three or four days--just give me a call the afternoon before. He said they couldn't do it like that--company policy. Well, my JK still has those dents more than a year later. I missed it too much. Go figure.

BTW: Do you feel that if you have a better bumper that you'd have mitigated a lot of this damage? I wonder if this has affected your priority list for mod's at all. Also, I thought I read somewhere that new axles were running more like 2-3K. Have you considered an upgrade while someone else is picking up the labor tab and part of the parts cost? You might be able to wrangle a sweet deal.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Sorry to hear about the delays. Mine was in the body shop after a hail storm dented the hood pretty badly. That afternoon I went by the shop and they still hadn't moved my Jeep. I went inside to ask why they hadn't even started the couple hours work that was needed (all paintless repair). The rep said they'd get to it probably in three or four days. I told them I'd bring it back in three or four days--just give me a call the afternoon before. He said they couldn't do it like that--company policy. Well, my JK still has those dents more than a year later. I missed it too much. Go figure.

BTW: Do you feel that if you have a better bumper that you'd have mitigated a lot of this damage? I wonder if this has affected your priority list for mod's at all. Also, I thought I read somewhere that new axles were running more like 2-3K. Have you considered an upgrade while someone else is picking up the labor tab and part of the parts cost? You might be able to wrangle a sweet deal.

I don't think I would have to be honest. If I had a better bumper it would be a stubby, so the impact probably would have mostly missed the bumper. Here is a picture for reference:

Here is the other car though:

Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory JK bumper is designed to absorb energy generated in a crash. This prevents the damage from ''traveling'' too far back into the structure of the Jeep during a wreck. A large rigid steel bumper, while ideal for off-roading is actually the worst thing you can install when it comes to a crash. The damage usually will transmit into the structure of the Jeep more deeply than the factory parts.....
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
The factory JK bumper is designed to absorb energy generated in a crash. This prevents the damage from ''traveling'' too far back into the structure of the Jeep during a wreck. A large rigid steel bumper, while ideal for off-roading is actually the worst thing you can install when it comes to a crash. The damage usually will transmit into the structure of the Jeep more deeply than the factory parts.....
I wouldn't have been upset with that. I don't care for the fact that my Jeep has now been in an accident. I would rather it have been totalled out.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazynova
I got into an accident in which I was not at fault on 07/31 and since then my Jeep has been at the shop getting fixed. It was actually at the tow yard for about a week until Allstate accepted thier liability and got it to the body shop. Anyways, I guess they did thier initial inspection and ordered up everything they thought they needed to fix it. A couple items took about 2 weeks to get in (passenger airbag and sensor), but I was under the impression they were only waiting on those two things.

Anyhow, a week passes by and I hear from the lady who says that the parts are all in and they were going to start fixing me Jeep. That was last week and I wasn't happy that they had just now started fixing it, but it wasn't a huge deal. At least I have a free rental until I get the Jeep back.

She told me at that point that I should have it back late this week early next week. I got a call today and she started with "All of the body work is done, and it is at the mechanic getting the suspension fixed." I was sleeping when I got the call, so I was thrilled with that. After A brief pause, I heard the dreaded word - but. I guess they realized today that the brackets on the axle for the control arms don't just magically bend back to normal and they now need to replace the entire front axle housing.

When I asked how long it would take she said I'll have it back hopefully the week after the holiday, which is still 2 weeks away I think. Anyways, I'm not too happy about it all, but I suppose it's alright that it's getting fixed right. I wish they had totalled it though - I would have had a new one by now.

Anyways, that's my rant for the night.
Sorry to hear about what happened to your Jeep. Hope you get it back soon.

Quick Reply: I want my Jeep back...