Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Insight Needed: Undercarriage Rust on Used 2015 JK

Old 08-27-2021, 03:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insight Needed: Undercarriage Rust on Used 2015 JK

Hey all,

I値l keep it short: Thoughts on the rust in the attached images?

I知 interested in purchasing a used 2015 JK. The Jeep was driven in several Canada winters and has some undercarriage rust. I知 moving to Central America near the beach where rust is also a concern. If I buy the car (which is out of state), I値l have my local mechanic treat the rust and add some sort of coating before I move.

Appreciate any advice y誕ll may have.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I don't live in a wintery climate, but that all looks pretty normal to me from everything I've seen over the years. I've seen some pretty bad pictures. It seems like you primarily have some surface rust which is normal.

This is interesting -

Is that some sort of footpeg to stand on to reach the roof?
Old 08-27-2021, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't live in a wintery climate, but that all looks pretty normal to me from everything I've seen over the years. I've seen some pretty bad pictures. It seems like you primarily have some surface rust which is normal.

This is interesting -

Awesome - that痴 what I was thinking, but thought the JK Collective might have more to say on the subject.

re: the peg - that痴 what I致e assumed. Either that or a place to tie your balloons.

thanks again for the feedback.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 468 Likes on 420 Posts

Looks like mine. The best product I ever used which kept my (at the time) 10 year old 2007 Dodge 3500 looking like new still was Rust Check. It is a liquid they spray everywhere, I mean everywhere, and it oozes out the seams for a few weeks after but it stops rust dead in its tracks. After the first treatment then it has to be done annually for a much smaller $$ than first install. You can also get it in cans to spray on underneath if you are living down south for a long time. You need about 3 cans per year.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

After doing some reading here, I used Fluid Film last year. It seems to be holding up well and keeping the rust at bay. I'll be putting a new coat on before the snow & salted roads hit
Old 08-30-2021, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001

This is interesting -

turns out it is a high Jack mount.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 468 Likes on 420 Posts

Not a good place to put a jack up this way. Trees will hook it and do body damage. Saw a mall crawler the other day that was so accessoried it had a side jack and every other war related equipment needed (shovels, gas cans, water etc) but it looked like it never goes offroad.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Y, that seems like a dumb place to mount a hi-lift for various reasons. Odd.

Quick Reply: Insight Needed: Undercarriage Rust on Used 2015 JK