Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Interesting article: Chrysler become Jeep Corp?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Widewing
Worse yet; take a Jeep, neuter it and call it the Nitro.

Then again, Jeep could use some of the better Chrysler Hemi engines, as well as that 280 hp four-banger in SRT4.

My regards,

Widewing
Hello.. Have you not noticed the new Liberty.. It IS a Nitro with a Jeep grille.

And yes I agree, an engine option would be great. Even just a 4.7 V8 would be nice.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liberty and Nitro

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Hello.. Have you not noticed the new Liberty.. It IS a Nitro with a Jeep grille.

And yes I agree, an engine option would be great. Even just a 4.7 V8 would be nice.
About the new Liberty be a Nitro with a Jeep grille, I think that's ok - cause the Nitro is a SUV, not a crossover. Maybe it's the Nitro that is a Liberty with new grille. The new Liberty have a handful of interesting specs, like descent control, hill start assist, very usable all-wheel drive - it's truly a Jeep, I think.

What I cannot understand is why Chrysler do not give more options for the JK, like Hemi engine, and maybe a new interior and panel - as well as bigger rims and suspension options. Do not need so much, because the aftermarket have plentiful - just one or two options.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zilon X
The new Liberty have a handful of interesting specs, like descent control, hill start assist, very usable all-wheel drive - it's truly a Jeep, I think.
2009 Wranglers also have hill start assist. No descent control though.

I think the Liberty deserves to wear the Jeep badge (it's easily the second most capable Jeep currently in production), but the Wrangler is in an entirely different league than the Liberty. The Liberty has IFS, no frame, an RTI score comparable to a Subaru Outback, not enough ground clearance, no rocker protection, a very low hanging air dam and front suspension skid plate, less than stellar approach and departure angles, a weak electonically controlled transfer case, a vulnerable spare tire, bloated bumpers made of crappy plastic, intrusive wheel well liners, Good-for-a-year tires, and underwhelming engine performance because some idiot thought it would be a good idea to add electronic throttle control.

How's that for a rant?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you buy a Jeep to take the kids to soccer then that's your choice, as long as the Wrangler, Scrambler, Willy, Rubicon, X, Sahara, and various other models that are the lineage of todays "JEEPER" stay the same, what's the difference.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK

The Nitro doesn't offer a real off road drive train. No low range and a suspension engineered for road use. They're fitted with marginal tires as well. I saw one slip-sliding around badly in the snow Saturday. Meanwhile, my JK was like a tractor, not even so much as a wiggle.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 12-22-2008, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno
2009 Wranglers also have hill start assist. No descent control though.

I think the Liberty deserves to wear the Jeep badge (it's easily the second most capable Jeep currently in production), but the Wrangler is in an entirely different league than the Liberty. The Liberty has IFS, no frame, an RTI score comparable to a Subaru Outback, not enough ground clearance, no rocker protection, a very low hanging air dam and front suspension skid plate, less than stellar approach and departure angles, a weak electonically controlled transfer case, a vulnerable spare tire, bloated bumpers made of crappy plastic, intrusive wheel well liners, Good-for-a-year tires, and underwhelming engine performance because some idiot thought it would be a good idea to add electronic throttle control.

How's that for a rant?
Sure, I agree with you about all that. But this was almost the same that was said about the XJ, and those was great vehicles - yep, another kind of use, not so strong than Wrangler in some aspects.

What I dream about the Wrangler is, not to mention a Hemi engine, a new interior and dashboard, maybe a modern, modular sports oriented instruments cluster - along some other changes, I think this can bring a lot of new air to the good Wrangler.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
What about the Compass and Patriot?

As long as Jeep keeps building a solid axle Wrangler that is highly capable off-road, I don't care what they have to do with the rest of their line-up to remain viable.
here here x3

Originally Posted by meljr
This is interesting coming from USN&W, which a year ago was a weekly news magazine and had been for years. Then, last spring they went to 26 "double" issues a year (page count has actually decreased) Now, they have announced they will be published monthly. Whats next -- online content only -- that is where the ad dollars are going. By the way, a subscription still costs the same as when the rag was published weekly.

Maybe Chrysler could emulate the publishing industry's innovative business plan by delivering less content for more money. Are you ready for a virtual Jeep?

-meljr

PS - By the way, has anyone looked at Autoweek lately? It's still being published weekly, but the page count is down to around 50 pages or so and the content sucks since they got rid of Satch Carlson.
Chrysler did emulate the publishing industry's plan by delivering thin sheet metal, (less) and cheap crappy plasic. See you weren't that far off. Either way I still love my Jeeps.

As long as the Wrangler stands, I don't really care about the rest of the vehicles. Although I wish their employees the best.

Quick Reply: Interesting article: Chrysler become Jeep Corp?