Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jack Stands

Old 11-10-2020, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Jack Stands

Looking for a little advice.

I have a set of Arcan 3 ton aluminum jack stands with a Arcan low profile 2 ton jack that are fine for my WRX but at full height (16.5") barely lift the axle tubes high enough to get the tires off the jeep. What does everyone use? I would love a set that fit under the axle tubes and something high enough to do the frame as well.

I was looking at a set of Sunex 10 ton medium height pin stand, anyone use these and are they any good?
The following users liked this post:
deere36 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I've got an ACDelco 3.5 ton jack that I've had for 17+ years, still going strong, just bought a second one (the design has shuttle changes over my original, but is still the same basic jack). Plenty of lift, but heavy as hell, I kind of expect something of quality with that lift capacity to be heavy, it's not aluminum.

I have two sets of ACDelco 3.5 ton jack stands that work nicely under the axle, and a set of 6 ton stands that I got frost tractor supply for using under the frame rails.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Tractor supply has jack stands with a built in bottle jack for about $60. Seems like a neat combination. Jack the Jeep up, then engage the jack stand for safety.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Those Sunex look very nice. Expensive, but nice. A lot of us have the inexpensive 6-ton stands from Harbor Freight, I think they are 23 3/4" or so.

Unfortunately HF/Pittsburgh ran into some quality issues not all that long ago and a bunch of these stands are/were being recalled. (don't know if they are even selling them anymore). So this is more of a post about the height perspective and not a brand suggestion.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

I recently went into harbor freight and was surprised at the lack of jack stands. I think they were burned by the recall so now barely carry any.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I didnt think about TSC or HF for stands, i looked at HF's webpage and they only sell 3 ton stands that are short like what i already have. I'll keep looking around and see what i can find that is what i need but a decent price, those sunex are nice but man are they expensive.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:47 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Awww, come on, where's yer since of adventure? Just use chunks of firewood stood on end, as long as you don't rock the jeep they'll hold steady 🍺
Old 11-14-2020, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

This happened 17 November 2020.. A 17-year-old boy died Monday afternoon after the car he was working on at his Lower Windsor Township home fell and crushed him, authorities said.

Hewas repairing the car when the hydraulic jack holding it up gave way, according to York County Coroner York County PA,
Old 11-15-2020, 01:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
This happened 17 November 2020.. A 17-year-old boy died Monday afternoon after the car he was working on at his Lower Windsor Township home fell and crushed him, authorities said.

Hewas repairing the car when the hydraulic jack holding it up gave way, according to York County Coroner York County PA,
I had a friend from church who died when his car fell on him. He had only two jack stands, so was using a floor jack for one end with all wheels off. I don't even trust jack stands: Place the removed tire under the frame rail unless it absolutely is impossible for the work you're doing.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

One time I was using a jack on side of my 32 motorhome and was trying to jack up the other side. To change the rear rotors I need both sides off the ground. (I was not attempting to be underneath with this setup). While I was jacking up the left side, the jack on the right side shifted and the RV fell. The whole motorhome ended up sitting flat down on my driveway since all wheels had been removed. Boy, it was fun and took a long time to get it back up again.

Quick Reply: Jack Stands