Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep broke down before I could pick it up!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigwrm
I hate to be a grammar nazi but ITS WARRANTY. WARRANTY.

I towed a 07 commander that the dealer was driving to the customers house outside of town for delivery. It had the 5.7 hemi in it and 27 kms on the odometer and it died. They towed it back to the dealer and gave the customer a new commander with no questions asked.
Mom, when did you become a member!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by AndrewZ
I was all set to go to the dealer at 4:30 this afternoon to get my New Sahara 2 door I ordered.. When at 4 pm the dealer call and says"their has been a little GLITCH"..Seem as though when they were driving the Jeep up the block to fill it up,it just died and would not restart.So I am all excited to pick up my new Wrangler and I get a call basically saying your vehicle is a piece of junk(at least that is the way it makes me feel.).A new car shouldn't just break down before delivery~!I hope this is not a bad omen for things to come...

Makes me wonder if I should sign the papers at all...
That probably happens more often than we know but nobody tells you. I would think that in all probability, brand new, is when a lot of failures happen. I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what the others have said, make them make a note of it on your paperwork, and then forget about it. You're gonna love this thing!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking For What It's Worth...

It may be small consolation, AndrewZ, but my Sahara flunked its pre-delivery inspection (PDI) too. They found "a link" that needed to be replaced, so my Jeep's issue is totally different, and I was lucky in that the dealership was able to get and install the needed part the very next day (which became my delivery date - one week ago today). Best vehicle EVER.

I've had NO problems whatsoever with my Jeep, and I LOVE IT. My wife's already getting jealous, and insists that I say "I like my Jeep" rather than "I love my Jeep" (because then she needs me to reassure her that I love her more).

Seriously: You've no doubt read other folks' posts about how this is the "funnest" [sic] vehicle they've ever owned, etc., etc... They're telling the truth. I've owned brand new sports cars [traded in a WRX for my JK], 4x4s, and my fair share of used sh1tboxes... in only one week, my JK is undoubtedly my favorite of the long list. This vehicle is SOOO fun, in fact, that my wife and I just HAD to go for a topless ride this past weekend (it's February, and I'm in New England - it was NOT a particularly pleasant-weather day [~34 degrees], but we were smiling so wide that the cold hardly mattered).

Have a read of this post I had started, when I was still waiting for my Jeep and was getting REALLY nervous about all the problems I was reading about... this'll hopefully set your mind at ease a little...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/poll-you-happy-your-jk-3188/

Buy the Jeep - the dealership isn't going to knowingly sell you a Lemon, because whatever small $$$ they make off you short-term will be far outweighed by the long-term cost of having to deal with a Lemon Law claim, not to mention the potential loss of your business. Just my .02.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi

If you guys ever worked on an auto assembly line you would understand.

You have a boatload of items to install with 20 feet of air hose. The harder you work the more items they give you to install. Meanwhile the lady the next line over is reading a book waiting for every fifth vehicle to go by so she can hop off her stool and pop in a dome light (deluxe model got a dome light, the others didn't. Every fifth vehicle was a deluxe. Same as I am sure you see as X's Saharas and Rubicons go by.) Anyway, the items you didn't have installed for whatever reason before you ran out of air hose got chucked into the front seat and someone would fix em up at the end. Take the number of vehicles that one man does in an eight hour shift missing an item here or there times the amount of people working the assembly line equals alot of vehicles missing alot of parts, etc. I imagine if that lady's novel had a few juicy sections in it, there was a dome light or two missing too. It's a wonder any of them start. Not to piss anyone off, but that's unions for you.

Sorry for rambling.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
If you guys ever worked on an auto assembly line you would understand.

You have a boatload of items to install with 20 feet of air hose. The harder you work the more items they give you to install. Meanwhile the lady the next line over is reading a book waiting for every fifth vehicle to go by so she can hop off her stool and pop in a dome light (deluxe model got a dome light, the others didn't. Every fifth vehicle was a deluxe. Same as I am sure you see as X's Saharas and Rubicons go by.) Anyway, the items you didn't have installed for whatever reason before you ran out of air hose got chucked into the front seat and someone would fix em up at the end. Take the number of vehicles that one man does in an eight hour shift missing an item here or there times the amount of people working the assembly line equals alot of vehicles missing alot of parts, etc. I imagine if that lady's novel had a few juicy sections in it, there was a dome light or two missing too. It's a wonder any of them start. Not to piss anyone off, but that's unions for you.

Sorry for rambling.
Wow - bad experience with union labor or what?

During a consulting gig, I had a chance to tour several factory floors of a certain well-known aerospace company and military supplier here in CT...and there were some pretty scary-looking goings-on there (in their defense, there was also quite a bit for them to be proud of, such as high-quality, reliable engines).

THEY didn't have tens of thousands of backordered products that they had to rush to produce... DCX does. So throw that into the mix as well - QA is probably a bit relaxed at the moment in order to up the overall production figures right now, and help get these Jeeps into the waiting hands of their impatient owners... they couldn't build it fast enough, as far as I was concerned. I was just lucky enough to get a good one (after the dealership corrected the factory's oversight, that is), and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update!!

My Jeep still will not run..I called today at 4 pm to make sure that I could pick it up this evening..They told me that they do not know why it will not start and that they are having some special 5 star tech who travels around and takes care of issues regular dealer techs can't,look at it.(he is supposed to be a real mechanic)..

He is supposed to take a look at it soon and they will keep me informed..

I tell you what,I have never heard of a brand new vewhicle that will not run and can't be fixed

But this does give me some excellent leverage for the negotiating table..I was thinking of asking for an extended warranty or some extra $$ off..I got the Jeep for 500 over invoice when I ordered it..

What would you guys ask for in compensation for this mess???

To make things worse,They were supposed to give me a couple weeks heads up so I could sell my car outright..Well, they did not call until the Jeep showed up and put me under the gun to sell my car..They called every other day saying how they wanted to move my Jeep out before the end of the month..So I sell my car and call to pick up my new Jeep and they tell me it won't run..

So now I am car-less and Jeep-less and I have a Jeep that will not run and no one knows why...

It enough to make my head spin:sad:
Old 02-28-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

All of this sucks...big time. But I bet it ends being something real stupid, like a fuse or a bad ground somewhere. They have been honest so far , see what they say . If it's something big don't take it .
Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it left you without any form of transportation I think I'd at least hit them up for a loaner while you wait. And try for some sort of extended warranty but that might be an uphill battle. Get a copy of the service invoice for your records and hang on to it for the future just in case.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default One more update..

They finally got my Jeep running..Turned out to be a faulty module that non of the Moron techs could find...

So I picked up my Jeep last night,signed the papers and took it home..

Now get this..I get a call from the ealership this morning asking me to come back in to re-do the deal..It seems they charged me $1000 to little...

It was probably the funniest moment I have had in a while,when I yold the finance guy I don't know who's pocket that $1000 dollars is coming out of,but it sure won't be mine

I can't believe they had the nerve to call and ask that after the ordeal I have had getting this thing..They have to think I am a Moron to actually think I will voluntarily spend more time out of my life and another thousand because of thier mistake..

I have a legally binding contract..They can shove it
Old 03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AndrewZ
They finally got my Jeep running..Turned out to be a faulty module that non of the Moron techs could find...

So I picked up my Jeep last night,signed the papers and took it home..

Now get this..I get a call from the ealership this morning asking me to come back in to re-do the deal..It seems they charged me $1000 to little...

It was probably the funniest moment I have had in a while,when I yold the finance guy I don't know who's pocket that $1000 dollars is coming out of,but it sure won't be mine

I can't believe they had the nerve to call and ask that after the ordeal I have had getting this thing..They have to think I am a Moron to actually think I will voluntarily spend more time out of my life and another thousand because of thier mistake..

I have a legally binding contract..They can shove it
Hilarious... You should offer to come down and correct that "mistake" as soon as they're willing to correct THEIR mistake - tell them that you thought you were getting TWO Jeeps for that price.

Quick Reply: Jeep broke down before I could pick it up!!!